[Peace] Gang rape in Garden Hills of 16 year old

Kimberlie Kranich kakranich at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 18 10:30:19 CDT 2009

I know the family of two of the four boys charged with the gang rape of a teenage girl.  The victim required surgery her wounds were so bad.

If I knew the victim I would reach out to her but I don't.  I can only imagine what she is feeling.

I will reach out to the daughter of the family of the accused. I know her.  I can imagine how I would feel if my brothers committed such terrible acts.

Here is the article from yesterday's News-Gazette:

Two More Suspects In Rape Arrested Following Tip

Two men charged in connection with a gang rape that police say occurred in Champaign earlier this month were to make court appearances this afternoon.

Champaign police spokeswoman Rene Dunn said Rajon Campbell, 19, and Marlone Pendelton, 18, both of the 1900 block of Diana Lane, Champaign, were arrested at their home early Monday monring following a tipe to Crimestoppers.

The two are among five young men charged with aggravated criminal sexual assault for an attack on a 16-year old Champaign girl in a detached garage at the Diana Lane address on March 6.

Already charged and awaiting trial are Johnnie Campbell, 16, also of the 1900 block of Diana Lane; Cortez Ross, 17, of the 500 block of Nathaniel Burch Drive; and Mario JAckson, 23, of the 1700 block of Hedge Road, all in Champaign.

State's attorney Julia Rietz earlier said the girl was invited to the home about 12:30am by Johnnie Campbell, who took her into the garage, where the others were.  All of them had been smoking marijuana, Rietz said.

Seh said one of the men grabbed the girl's arm and forced her onto a couch, where the males then took turns sexually assaulting her.  She required surgery for injuries she sustained during the attack.  She also had bruises on her neck, back and wrists.

Ross, jackson and Johnnie Campbell were arested within hours of the event.  Johnnie Campbell was charged as an adult.

Rajon Campbell and Pendelton fled and were thought to be in Chicago.  Champaign police got help from the U.S. MArshals Fugitive Task Force in finding them.  The Marshals Service informed Champaign police ealry Monday that the two were back home, and police arrested them at the Diana Lane address at 6:48am.

In convicted of the Class X felony, the men face a manadatory prison term of six to 30 years.