[Peace] Fwd: Free Matthis Chiroux--please forward widely

Jesse Phillippe japhillippe at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 12:11:40 CDT 2009

*please forward widely...
**
CALLING ALL VETERANS AND ANTIWAR ACTIVISTS!

Show your support for War Resister Matthis Chiroux
April 21, 9am, 1 Reserve Way, St. Louis, MO

more information will be forthcoming...*

Hi all,

Finally, it appears the end is near. At 9:00 a.m. on April 21st, my hearing
with the Army concerning my refusal to deploy will commence at 1 Reserve
Way, in St. Louis, MO. My new and final JAG attorney, who’s assured me he’s
not volunteering for Iraq service as his predecessor, has updated me on a
number of developments in my case.

First and foremost, the Army has made a motion, “to prevent any discussion
in opening statement, questioning of witnesses or in argument concerning the
constitutionality of the Global War on Terrorism (“GWOT”), or other
Soldiers’, family members’, or Iraqi civilians’ experiences in GWOT.”

Furthermore, it appears as little surprise to me, the military is reading my
website, and is planning to use its contents against me in the hearing,
which I’m not upset about because it means they’re going to engage me on the
issues.

So we’re going to demonstrate how short sighted that motion is, and then
afterward, we’re going to have a Winter Soldier where the veterans and our
supporters will resurrect our first casualty of our war which is truth. A
truth the Army would rather not hear when it’s Soldiers do what is true.

They used to tell me in the Army that crap rolls down-hill. Well it’s
rolling uphill now, and we are only the beginning, because it’s the only
true thing we can do. In our names, they are plotting destruction on all of
us. We bleed together, with the people of the world, victims of lies,
violence, hate and greed.

Crap’s rolling uphill now, and driving it is resistence, the core of being,
what makes us human. When we take responsibility for ourselves, we light the
way for others. And others will come, as I was an ‘other’ not but a year
ago. And others have come who will be at this hearing.

Other members of the Army’s Individual Ready Reserve who have resisted as I
and have pledged to demand similar hearings will be present, and when their
hearings come, they’ll stand at 1 Reserve Way, St. Louis MO, too, and we’ll
do this all over again.

We acknowledge this war of terror was meant to be sustained and reaffirm
that so is this resistence. The world is invited to share in our
reaffirmation of military resistence to racist wars for profit April 21st at
the above mentioned address at 9 a.m. More details soon on the location of
the Winter Soldier to follow.

In the meantime, I’m headed to Europe at the request of members of the
German Parliament to speak about why they should not be supplying troops to
the occupation of Afghanistan nor supporting the NATO alliance. Following
that, I’ll be conducting several workshops before heading to Strasbourg,
France, to demonstrate with thousands of Europeans against the NATO summit
to take place April 4th. Obama will be in Europe trying to sell his wars for
empire, and the people, united will be on hand to say no.

Look for coverage in the coming weeks concerning the demonstrations. Look
forward to updating you all in person.

See you in St. Louis!

Matthis
matthisresists.us
Central Illinois Iraq Veterans Against the War:
ivaw.champaign at gmail.com
facebook: Central Illinois
ivaw.org