[Peace] Panel for Obama's first 100 days

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri May 1 13:55:08 CDT 2009

Tonight's "News from Neptune/TV Edition" -- cable channel 6 at 7PM (and soon on
www.newsfromneptune.com) -- will consider AWARE Presents' April 30 program and
its implications for the anti-war movement.

Paul Street's talk was good, as one would expect from his published material.
(The full version, only part of which was presented here, can be found at
<http://www.zmag.org/znet/viewArticle/21315>.)

The panel however was narrowly centrist (the center, that is, of limits of
allowable debate in the US). It excluded anti-war views from both the Left and
the Right.  On the one side, the position of Noam Chomsky, Alex Cockburn, and
the Black Agenda Report was unrepresented; on the other, that of Ron Paul, Bill
Kauffman, and Antiwar.com was absent. As a result, Street's talk was for the
most part not addressed; the word "war" was hardly mentioned, and the word "oil"
not at all.

On News from Neptune/UPTV tonight, David Johnson, Wayne Johnson, and I hope to
add the missing voices and help to dispel the "100 Daze."  We'll try to offer a
more adequate understanding of the war that the US has been conducting in the
Middle East for some time -- regardless of the personal qualities of whoever is
the "chief magistrate," in Thomas Jefferson's phrase. --CGE