[Peace] "On White Privilege" - an invitation from AWARE Films

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 9 11:20:13 CST 2009

Friends -- please forward widely,

AWARE Films invites you to a screening of "On White Privilege" at the Champaign Public Library at 2p on Sunday, November 15th. (See below for more about the film and author/speaker Tim Wise.)

We've chosen this 60-minute film because -- while always topical, unfortunately -- this subject seems especially appropriate in light of tragic events that have occurred in our area over the past several months.

Eye-opening for whites. Reinforcing for persons of color. After-film discussion and refreshments included. FREE and open to the public.

 -Jenifer

"On White Privilege"

For years, acclaimed author and speaker Tim Wise has been electrifying audiences on the college lecture circuit with his deeply personal take on whiteness and white privilege. In this spellbinding lecture he offers a unique, inside-out view of race and racism in America.

Overcoming the defensiveness that often surrounds these issues, Wise provides a non-confrontational explanation of white privilege and the damage it does -- not only to people of color, but to white people as well. This is an ideal introduction to the social construction of racial identities, and a critical new tool for exploring the often invoked - but seldom explained - concept of white privilege.