[Peace] My Name is Rachel Corrie

Morton K. Brussel brussel at illinois.edu
Sun Oct 11 23:34:06 CDT 2009

I saw the play, My Name is Rachel Corrie,  at the Station Theatre on
Saturday evening. It tells her story, before and during her trip to
Gaza, and her thoughts and emotions through her writing and
correspondence. In front of the theatre, there was an elderly couple
distributing leaflets with photos of a few Israeli children who had
died as a result of suicide bombings. I should have started a
conversation with them, but all I said, feebly, in rejecting their
pamphlets is that I didn't want their propaganda. They were gone by
the time I'd collected my thoughts, at the conclusion of the play. In
fact Rachel Corrie in the play answered them, but of course such
protesters would feel too discomfited to see the play and absorb what
she had to say.

The theatre had a sparse audience, but the play was wonderfully and
movingly performed by actress Lindsay Markel. The production was first
rate. It seemed as if Rachel was before us.

I hope that those who can will see this play. It is clear that among
the sponsors of the Station Theatre are many Zionists who feel
threatened by the recounting of the story and tragic death of Rachel
Corrie. Yet the theatre had the courage to put on the play. We should
thank them with our attendance.

--mkb