[Peace] play: My Name is Rachel Corrie / talk back nights October 15, October 22

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 10:13:34 CDT 2009

The play "My Name is Rachel Corrie" is at the Station Theater
Talk back night: (tonight) Thursday, October 15 (and I heard there
will be another talk back night next Thursday as well)

Rachel Corrie was an American member of the International Solidarity
Movement (ISM) who was killed by a bulldozer operated by the Israel
Defense Forces (IDF) while attempting to prevent IDF forces from
demolishing the home of local Palestinian

The play runs October 8-24, 2009
All shows 8pm
223 N. Broadway, Urbana Illinois
(217)384-4000 to make reservations

If you are unable to attend the Oct 15 play, please make reservations
for next Thursday's play/talk back!

http://www.stationtheatre.com/rachelcorrie.html

---------------------------------
Based on the life and writings of Rachel Corrie, a young American
artist and activist, this one-person play follows Corrie from her home
in Olympia, Washington to the center of the Israeli/Palestinian
Conflict.  Corrie, who was only twenty-three at the time of her death,
traveled to Gaza as part of a pro-Palestinian peace movement.  Her
letters, journal entries, and e-mails to family and friends are at the
heart of this powerful drama, which showcases her search for meaning
and purpose in a time of great turmoil.
--------------------------------
A message from Lindsey Markel, actress playing Rachel Corrie:
"...So when I ask you to come see "Rachel Corrie," I guess I can't
divorce it from my own interests. I'd like you to come see this thing,
this art, this event, this living story that my friends and I have
somehow pushed and molded together. But moreover, I want you to come
in support of communication, of sharing and working together and
talking and creating and informing ourselves! The protesters outside
want us to believe that we are working out of hate, and I have to
constantly remind myself that we are the ones working from love. They
are the ones yelling, lying, heckling and jeering based on nothing
more than one person's knee-jerk response to a WEBPAGE. Come and join
us, all of us huddling together in the cold world and using art and
performance for a purpose, for warmth. Come in support of education,
which leads to empowerment and empathy. Come and fight ignorance.
Choose ideas instead. This is what Rachel wanted then and, I humbly
believe, what she would want now."