[Peace] 2-4pm, Saturday, Sep 5th -- monthly anti-war demonstration at Main & Neil, downtown Champaign

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Sep 4 06:06:08 CDT 2009

Yes, after almost eight years, we still have two wars to protest,
and a US population that grows ever more comfortable with
endless war over the horizon and far away.

Please join us:

   Saturday, Sep. 5th
   2:00 - 4:00 PM
   Main & Neil, downtown Champaign

Carry one of our signs, or bring your own.

The ramping-up war in Afghanistan is in the news,
but not in the way it ought to be.  We'll have a flyer on it,
and another on why Obama needs a protest movement.
(As Sherry Wolf noted this week... Obama said, 'Push me.'
However much he meant it, we should take him at his word.)

Some other upcoming events that many of us might care about:

    Sun 9/6  6pm  People's Pot Luck, Independent Media Center, 202 S. Broadway, Urbana
		Bring a dish to share if you can.
		(Safe Haven update; Unity March; JwJ's 9/24 rally; restart of Food Not Bombs;
		"The C-U Really, Really Free Market"; Shelley Smithson,
		investigative reporter doing articles on local poverty)

    Mon 9/7  10am sharp  Jobs with Justice marching with Labor Day Parade
		Gather 9:30-10am in Lincoln Square parking lot.
		March south to Washington St, then east to Brookens Center,
		where there'll be a "Celebration of Labor" picnic, etc.
		They'll have signs calling for peace, justice, and restoration
		of democracy in Honduras.  We can march with them,
		and can bring our own signs if we like.

    Tue 9/8  5-6pm "Honk for Health Care" demonstration/leafletting on University & Lincoln
		From Campaign for Better Health Care, http://cbhconline.org/
		who are doing this every Tuesday at that street corner.
		CBHC is doing other local health care events too but I don't
		have the info with me right now.  Something's on 9/12 I think.

    Thu 9/10  6:30pm  Champaign Public Library
		CCHCC community meeting on health care reform; see:
		http://www.healthcareconsumers.org/index.php?action=Display%20Page&id=708

    Sun 9/20  2pm "Rethink Afghanistan" film showing, Champaign Pub. Library room "C"
		Watch this Robert Greenwald film, with discussion to follow.  2-4pm.
		See:  http://rethinkafghanistan.com/

    Mon 9/21 8pm  Vigil for International Day of Peace
		at the Alma Mater on UofI campus, corner of Green & Wright.
		Please bring a candle.

    Thu 9/24 5:30pm rally at Urbana Courthouse by Jobs with Justice
		as part of a National Week of Action protesting the
		'bailout bandits' and calling for social justice,
		national and local prioritization of the crises of
		homelessness and joblessness.

    Sat 10/3    annual Unity March!   More details later.
		Focus this year on the criminalization of homelessness.