[Peace] James Loewen at Unit One/Allen Hall 913-9/15

Laura Haber lhaber at uiuc.edu
Fri Sep 11 16:26:12 CDT 2009

Best-selling author of Lies My Teacher Told Me, James Loewen, will be a Unit One/Allen Hall Guest-in-Residence Sunday 9/13 – Tuesday 9/15. He will be speaking each night of his residency at 7pm in the Main Lounge of Allen Hall, 1005 W. Gregory, Urbana. All events will be open to the public.

Sunday, September 13
7:00pm – Lies My Teacher Told Me and How to Do Better (worldwide debut of Loewen’s newest book Teaching What Really Happened)

Monday, September 14
7:00pm – Sundown Towns: A Hidden Dimension of American Racism

Tuesday, September 15
7:00pm – Race Relations in the Obama Age

About James Loewen:
James Loewen wrote Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your High School History Textbook Got Wrong, a critique of existing high school textbooks, but also an account of American history as it should be taught. It has sold more than 1,000,000 copies and is probably the best-selling book by a living sociologist. Loewen taught race relations for 20 years at the University of Vermont and previously taught at Tougaloo College in Mississippi. His other books include Sundown Towns: A Hidden Dimension of American Racism, Lies Across America: What Our Historic Sites Get Wrong; The Truth About Columbus; and Mississippi: Conflict and Change, which won the Lillian Smith Award for Best Southern Nonfiction. This book was rejected for public-school text use by the State of Mississippi, leading to the path-breaking First Amendment lawsuit, Loewen et al. v. Turnipseed, et al. Loewen has been an expert witness in more than 50 civil rights, voting rights, and employment
 cases.  During his visit to Allen Hall he will debut his newest book, Teaching What Really Happened, aimed at K-12 teachers and future teachers.

Laura Haber
Program Director of Unit One
68 Allen Hall
MC-050