[Peace] Today 5:30 pm: Rally for Real Recovery @ Courthouse; JwJ meeting Saturday

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 24 09:23:00 CDT 2009

----- Forwarded message from Robert Naiman <naiman.uiuc at gmail.com> -----

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 10:14:28 -0400
From: Robert Naiman <naiman.uiuc at gmail.com>
Subject: Today 5:30 pm: Rally for Real Recovery @ Courthouse; meeting Saturday
To: Robert Naiman <naiman.uiuc at gmail.com>

[The next monthly meeting of the Jobs with Justice steering committee is 10
AM Saturday at the IEA office on Clearlake in Champaign.
Write to Robert Naiman <naiman.uiuc at gmail.com> for directions.]

“We’re *still* losing jobs –

            We’re *still* losing homes –

                        We *still* need a *Real Recovery for Working People*!”

*Community Rally for Real Recovery*

*Thurs. Sept. 24*

*5:30PM*

*Champaign County Courthouse*

We gave up almost $5 TRILLION to bail out Wall Street and the Big Banks.

Now where’s OUR BAILOUT?

STOP THE FORECLOSURES!

The U.S. has already lost a staggering $6 trillion in homeowner wealth since
2006 that will ultimately cost the nation’s state and local governments
$58.0 billion in annual property tax funds.

*Stopping foreclosures alone could:*

·    Save an estimated *380,846 Illinois homes* from foreclosure through
2012 (nationally:  9 million homes) that would prevent *$143.8 billion in
Illinois homeowner wealth* from evaporating (nationally:  $2.2 trillion).

·    Stop the budget free fall and help state and local governments preserve
as much as *$2.2 billion in annual property tax revenue*, enough to
permanently fund programs to provide affordable housing and new or expanded
shelters for the homeless (nationally:  $21.3 billion).

·         Save additional *$163.7 million in local government
costs*associated with dealing with foreclosed properties – and much
more in the
event that the banks do not keep up or secure the properties (nationally:
$3.9 billion).

For more on what others are doing see www.jwj.org/recovery

We will also be taking donations of blankets and other bedding for the Safe
Haven tent community.

This event is co-sponsored locally by C-U Citizens for Peace and Justice and
the Catholic Worker House.