[Peace] Re: [Announce] Unity March this Saturday

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 13:39:13 CDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 9:46 AM, Brian Dolinar <briandolinar at gmail.com>wrote:

The 6th annual Unity March is this Saturday, Oct. 3.
> It will be kicking off from the Champaign City Building, traveling down
> University Ave, and ending with a rally at the Champaign County courthouse.
> There will be a reception at the Independent Media Center.
>
> This year's march is addressing the current economic crisis.
> We are collecting donations for the Safe Haven community (blankets and
> bedding).
>
> Rain or shine, we will march.
> We can weather this storm together.
>
> Peace, BD
>
> In the last year, Champaign-Urbana’s unemployment rate increased two
> percentage points
>
> from 4.9 percent in March 2008 to 6.9 percent in March 2009, according to
> data released by the Illinois Department of Employment Security.
>

> Nationwide, new figures show that in 2008, the top ten percent of Americans
> earned 11.4 times more than those living below the poverty line.

This last sentence HAS to be a misprint.  If the income of those living
below the poverty line averaged, for the sake of round numbers,
$10,000/year, then the average income of the top ten percent of Americans
would be only $114,000/year.  That seems awfully low to me, for the top ten
percent.

John Wason