[Peace] Midwest Catholic Worker Gathering with Chris Hedges and Frida Berrigan

St. Jude Catholic Worker stjudecatholicworker at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 21:04:51 CDT 2010

What: 2010 Midwest Catholic Worker Resistance Retreat: The Cost of War
and Occupation: At Home and Abroad
Dates: April 23 – 26
Site: Social Center at San Miguel, S Winchester Ave & W 48th St
(northwest corner of intersection), Chicago, IL

General Retreat Outline:

Friday – 4 p.m. Doors open; 6 p.m. dinner; 8 p.m. opening circle

Saturday – 7:30 a.m. breakfast; 9:15 a.m. Frida Berrigan on military
spending; 11 a.m. Roundtables; 12:00 – 1:30 – lunch; 1:30 p.m. – panel
discussion of Catholic Workers who have participated in peace teams in
conflict areas; 3:30 p.m. Roundtables; 5:00 – 6:30 p.m. – dinner; 6:30
p.m. – Chris Hedges presentation

Sunday – 7:00 – 9:00 a.m. breakfast; 9:00 a.m. – Liturgy; 10:15 - Jack
Nelson- Pallmeyer presentation; 12:00 – 1:00 – lunch; 1:00 – 5:30 –
nonviolence training and action planning (note: we will have a 30
minute break during this session); 5:30 – 7:00 dinner; 7 – 9 p.m. –
gathering for those risking arrest and those engaged in solidarity
action.

Monday – 6:00 a.m. – breakfast; 7:00 depart San Miguel School for Su
Casa; 9:00 a.m. depart from Su Casa to downtown for direct action.

*Roundtables TBA

Registration for Retreat:
Please register for the event by email: sucasacw at gmail.com , phone:
(773) 376-9263, or mail: 5045 S. Laflin St. Chicago, IL 60609.

Registration will help us in planning logistics for the weekend,
including especially housing and food. Please respond by April 18th
with the approximate number of people, your community/affiliation,
your arrival date/time, contact info, special requests, and also let
us know if you do not plan to stay in the social center.

Important Phone Numbers:

Su Casa Catholic Worker: 773-376-9263 (Chantal or Marjorie are main contacts)
Voices for Creative Nonviolence: 773-878-3815
Cell Phone Numbers During the Retreat:
Chantal: (512) 626-8694
Gerald: (773) 559-9784
Joshua: (931) 436-3616

Location:
Social Center at San Miguel Northwest Corner of S Winchester Ave and W
48th St Chicago IL

Please note that the social center is next to San Miguel School. The
street address for San Miguel School is 1949 W 48th St (if this helps
you with doing Mapquest for directions).

We’ll be sure to have a sign on the door of the social center to help
you find your way in when you arrive.

Host Parish – St Michael / San Miguel:

St Michael the Archangel Parish is graciously accommodating the
Catholic Worker Resistance Retreat at no charge to us (though we will
“pass the hat” to help cover expenses).

St. Michael is better known as San Miguel by residents of the Back of
the Yards neighborhood, with a majority of its residents being
Hispanic.

Housing & Showers (or lack thereof):

All housing will be at the San Miguel social center and consist of
floor space. Please be sure to bring a floor mat of some sort for
sleeping comfort on an otherwise hard surface.

Very limited bed space may be available at Su Casa if you require a
bed because of physical limitations. If so, please contact Chantal at
Su Casa to make arrangements. Beds will be assigned on a first come
first serve basis.

No showers are available for the weekend, though we will have full
access to the bathrooms at the school.

Arrivals on Friday afternoon / evening:

Doors to the San Miguel social center will open for arrivals beginning
at 4 p.m. on Friday. A dinner will be served beginning at 6 p.m.

Departure on Monday morning:

We must be completely out of San Miguel School no later than 7 a.m. on
Monday morning. That includes final clean up and packing up of all
belongings. if you believe you will not be able to be ready to leave
by 7 a.m., please let us know in advance so that an alternative
sleeping arrangement can be made.

Directions to San Miguel:

I-90 / I-94 – Exit at 47th St. Go west to Winchester. Turn left on
Winchester. Turn right on 48th St.

I-55 — Exit at Pulaski Rd (exit #287). Turn right on Pulaski. Turn
left on 47th St. Turn right on Damen. Turn left on 48th St.

Public Transportation: Orange Line to Bus Route #48.

Parking:

Street parking is available. Parking is also available at a shopping
center located at 47th St and Damen (just 3 blocks from the retreat
location). You enter the parking lot from 47th St.

Building Access:

Please respect the generosity of our hosts by helping us keep the
building secure. Doors to the building should remain closed and will
be locked each night.

Monday Morning Transportation & Parking:

More detailed information will be available at the retreat itself, but
here’s some preliminary information.

You should plan on paying $25 to $30 for parking if you drive into
downtown Chicago for Monday’s action. Parking ramps are available
within an easy walk of 5 to 7 blocks of the start and end points for
the action.

Public transportation is also available via bus and rail, requiring
one transfer. The fare cost is $2.25 each way (which comes to $4.50
round trip per person). It will take about one hour by public
transportation to get to the starting point for Monday’s action.

Things to bring: • Sleeping pad and sleeping bag • Food to contribute
to community meals • If possible, kitchenware (since our supply of
plates, cups and silverware is limited) • And of course, musical
instruments!

The 2010 Midwest Catholic Worker Resistance Retreat is being hosted in
Chicago by:

Su Casa Catholic Worker
White Rose Catholic Worker
Francis of Assisi Catholic Worker