[Peace] AWARE table at Farmer's market to disappear?

Morton K. Brussel mkb3 at mac.com
Mon Apr 19 12:14:45 CDT 2010

Hello all those sympathetic to AWARE , past or present:

The AWARE table at the Urbana's Farmers market is in danger of going out of business.

The reason is our need  to staff the table on Saturday mornings, and so far the number of people willing to do so is insufficient.

If there were ten (or more) people willing to participate in sitting at the table for an hour or so, then the burden on any one would be manageable; one would not have to be at the table every week or for a prolonged time. In the past, we have had three shifts at the table: 8;00 - 9:20, 9:20 - 10:40, and 10:40 to 12:00. We need at least one person per shift. Two makes better company.

So this is a desperate appeal for volunteers. A few have already positively responded to an earlier request by Karen M., but we really need more.

It is easy to do, and not unpleasant. One can watch the U-C world pass by and occasionally engage in comments and dialog with those who are attracted to the table for one reason or another. It can be interesting and rewarding. And in a good cause.

The obvious value of having a table there is that it shows that there are some who are appalled by our wars and occupations and are ready to show it. We're not in the business of profiting from the sale of bumper stickers, buttons, and miscellany, but rather of encouraging others to show their agreement with our cause.

So what do you say?

Don't let the anti-war presence die at the farmer's market.

--mkb

believed to be clean.