[Peace] Join the Cause to Denounce Hateful Legislation

Allison McGillivray akmcgilli at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 14:30:47 CDT 2010

JOIN THE CAUSE TO DENOUNCE HATEFUL LEGISLATION

It has been two weeks since Arizona's SB 1070 was enacted into law. While
the threat to undocumented immigrants is lessened due to Federal Judge Susan
Bolton's ruling (read below), the persecution of undocumented immigrants
continues throughout Arizona and the U.S.

Still, more frightening than Arizona's new law is the ripple effect it is
making through the country. Five states have already introduced similar
legislation, and 20 additional states are purportedly considering it.

The border is no longer just along the Rio Grande.

A group of Champaign-Urbana residents have been meeting to discuss what we
can do here to help our immigrant brothers and sisters and prevent this kind
of legislature from reaching Illinois. While we have some ideas of what
could be productive, engaging and fruitful, we need your help to make this
possible!

We invite you to join us for our continued planning meetings.

*Champaign Public Library*
 * Friends Meeting Room (rm 215 on 2nd floor)
*  *7:00-9:00 PM, Monday, Aug. 23rd

*Hope to see you there!

Peace,
Allison McGillivray

Some background...

On July 29th, Arizona enacted into law SB 1070. Thankfully, the most
threatening aspects of the bill were struck down by a federal judge.
However, the law is still promoting segregation and fear by dismantling
ethnic studies in public schools, allowing Arizona residents to sue the
state for not fully enforcing immigration laws, and making it a state crime
to pick up day laborers.

"Why Judge Susan Bolton Blocked Key Parts of Arizona's SB 1070," Christian
Science Monitor
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2010/0728/Why-Judge-Susan-Bolton-blocked-key-parts-of-Arizona-s-SB-1070

Original SB1070 Text
http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070s.pdf