[Peace] Fw: [MEDIAMATTERS] Media Matters Update February 7, 2010

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 2 07:59:52 CST 2010

--- On Mon, 2/1/10, Melisse Trentz <mtfaye at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
Welcome to another edition of the WILL-AM Media
 Matters email
 update!

See Media Matters Live on
Feb. 21!

Fans of WILL-AM’s Media
Matters with Bob McChesney have the opportunity to be part of a live studio
audience for the show in a special event at 12:30 pm Sunday, Feb. 21.

The event at the Siebel
Center, 201 N. Goodwin Ave., is free to the public, but tickets are required.
Space is limited. Call 217-333-7300 by 5 pm Monday, Feb. 15, to request a
ticket. Parking is available one block north in the garage at Goodwin and Clark
streets.

 “We wanted to thank Media
Matters listeners by doing a live studio show for the first time,”
Bob said.  “I will stay after the program to take more questions,
talk about my new book, and sign books.” His new book, The Death and
Life of American Journalism: The Media Revolution That Will Begin the World
Again, co-authored with John Nichols, will be for sale for $25 at the
event, with all proceeds going to WILL. Nichols, political writer for The
Nation magazine, will appear with Bob at the event as a guest on the show.

Jay Pearce, director of created content for Illinois Public Media, said Media
Matters is one of WILL’s most popular shows. “We get listeners
from all around the country who hear the program on the Web. This is a great
opportunity for listeners to see Bob in action and meet him afterwards.”Bob and John will be taking questions from the audience.

JOIN US NOW ON FACEBOOK

---------------------------------------

Media Matters with Bob McChesney

Read more about Media Matter's guest in depth and start a discussion about the
show.  Read about upcoming Media Matters events and meet other Media
Matters fans.

THIS WEEK'S GUEST
------------------------------
Sut Jhally
Sut Jhally is Professor of
Communication at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst and Founder
and Executive Director of the Media Education Foundation (MEF). He is
one of the world's leading scholars looking at the role played by
advertising and popular culture in the processes of social control and
identity construction. The author of numerous books and articles on
media including The Codes of Advertising and Enlightened Racism.
www.sutjhally.com

UPCOMING GUESTS
-------------------------------
Barry Lynn

LAST WEEK'S
 SHOW
----------------------------------
Janine Jackson - Fair.org

THANK YOU TO OUR
 TRANSCRIBERS
Mark,
Lee, Matt and Mary Jo have volunteered to transcribe Media Matters and
their transcriptions are being posted to the WILL website as they
finish each one.  This is a huge project requiring lots of time and
effort by each of these volunteers, and Media Matters and WILL can not
thank them enough!

WHERE TO LISTEN TO MEDIA
 MATTERS
Media Matters originates from WILL-AM on the campus of the University
of Illinois, airing live from 1-2pm Central Time on
 Sunday
afternoons.
 Listeners are welcomed to pose questions to guests
calling
 (217)333-9455 or (800)244-9455

Media
 Matters can also be
 heard on the following stations:

KWMD-FM, Kasilof Alaska
- live at 10am Sunday, repeated 7pm Monday
- 90.7FM (Soldotna), 104.5 (Anchorage)

Valley Free Radio, WXOJ-LP, Northampton, Massachusetts
- 12pm Wednesday
- 103.3 FM
http://www.valleyfreeradio.org/

WITC FM, Cazenovia, New York8am and 12pm,
 several days a week

If you know of other stations
 airing Media Matters - or you plan to
broadcast the show yourself - please let us know so we can add you to
the list. If you would like to hear Media Matters on one of your
local stations please let them know, and put them in touch with us.

Media Matters is streamed live online. Check will.illinois.edu for
details.

ALL OF OUR PAST SHOWS ARE
 AVAILABLE ON OUR WEB SITE:

http://will.illinois.edu/am/mediamatters
Our podcast is also available from NPR:
http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast/podcast_detail.php?siteId=5183226

MEDIA
 MATTERS UPDATES VIA
 TWITTER AND FACEBOOK

You can now get notice of our upcoming guests via twitter. Just
subscribe to 'mediamatters' updates: http://twitter.com
and on www.facebook.com - Media Matters with Bob McChesney

NUTS and
 BOLTS
Bob McChesney's Media
 Matters show airing Sundays 1-2pm Central Time
on
 WILL-AM 580. If you do not wish to receive messages
 from
this list, return to will.illinois.edu/am/mediamatters and unsubscribe the same way you subscribed.

If you know others who might want to be on this list, you
can direct them to http://will.illinois.edu/am/mediamatters
for a link to the subscription service, or you can email
mtfaye at yahoo.com.

We hope you find the Media Matters Weekly Update to be
useful and informative, and we hope you'll encourage
everyone you know with an interest in the media to listen to
the show and subscribe to the list. If you have any
questions or suggestions on how to improve what we do with
this list, please email producer Melisse Trentz at mtfaye at yahoo.com
Thanks again for listening!
--
Melisse Trentz