[Peace] Upcoming events of interest to AWAREistas...

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 22 14:30:35 CST 2010

Upcoming events:

Tue Feb 23  12 noon  Immigration Reform at YMCA (Wright and Armory, C.)
    "We are all Americans:  Why We Need Comprehensive Immigration Reform"
	Members of La Colectiva student organization will discuss the need
	and importance of comprehensive immigration reform and the impact
	of current immigration policies on higher education.
	Learn about current efforts towards achieving reform
	on campus and in the local community.

Wed Feb 24  7pm room 307 Gregory Hall (810 S. Wright St., U.)
    "Lynching Then, Lynching Now"
	Champaign-Urbana is at the center of a fight to tackle racism
	in the criminal justice system in the wake of the murder of
	Kiwane Carrington, an unarmed 15-year-old African-American youth,
	at the hands of Champaign police.  Join a panel of exonerated
	prisoners and activists as we discuss the links between the
	historical practice of lynching, racism and the criminal justice today.

Sat-Sun Feb 27-28  CANference  [somewhere on UofI campus]
    "It's Not Over 'Til It's Over"
    Campus Anti-War Network 2010 National Conference
    Why: To help build a grassroots student movement
	to fight imperialism and stand for human rights.
    When: All day Saturday 2/27, through Sunday afternoon 2/28:
	speakers and discussions.  A partial schedule is at
    http://campusantiwar.net/CANference_2010

Sat Feb 27  8am-1pm  community electronics collection, 3202 Apollo Dr., Champaign
    Free dropoff of residential electronics (TVs, DVD/VCRs, computers, cell phones...)
    up to ten per resident.  [Not a Peace event but worth knowing about.]

Thu Mar 4  noon-1pm march/rally @ Green & Wright streets, plus evening panel
    "March Forth on March 4th"
	National Day to Defend Higher Education is March 4.
	U of I employees, take your furlough day "in common" on March 4th!
	Meet at noon at Alma Mater, and march -- then hear speakers
	on campus labor and the financial crisis.
	("If UI was a bank, we'd be bailed out by now!")

	In the evening, somewhere, there'll be a faculty panel
	on the future of the University.

	Facebook event page:
	    http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=350363396531&ref=mf

Sat Mar 6  2-4pm  Main Event, Main & Neil, downtown Champaign
    AWARE's monthly anti-war demonstration.

Sun Mar 14  2-4pm  Champaign Public Library, Robeson rooms A+B  (Green & Randolph Sts.)
    Panel discussion on Israel/Palestine.  Details TBA.

Thu Mar 18  5pm Green & Wright Sts.
    Demonstration for 7th anniversary of Iraq invasion

                 still
    "Because it's ^ not over"

    (possibly preceded by a rally -- details TBA)

Fri-Sat Apr 9-10  ICJPE annual conference, at U-C IMC, downtown Urbana
    IL Coalition for Justice, Peace and the Environment (icjpe.org)
    "Coordinating and Communicating"
    Friday evening keynote, Saturday daytime panels

Sat Apr 10  evening  U-C IMC
    Musician/Satirist Roy Zimmerman on the IMC Main Stage,
    following the ICJPE conference above.

believed to be clean.