[Peace] film and discussion / Crips and Bloods (gang documentary) / February 24; 7pm

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 14:21:21 CST 2010

Film & Discussion: Crips and Bloods: Made in America (documentary on gangs)
Channing-Murray Foundation
1209 West Oregon, Urbana Illinois
Wednesday February 24 2010
7 pm
This film combines in-depth interviews with current and former gang
members, educators, historians, family members and experts with
historical and present-day footage to graphically portray the rivalry
between African American gangs in South Los Angeles.
The 1950s were a period of black prosperity in Los Angeles, fed by the
abundance of industry-based jobs. By the end of the decade, however,
those industries began to disappear, resulting in high rates of
unemployment. Could the factors which converged to create
disenfranchised youth on the West Coast be present here in our own
community? If it had been a white community, would our government have
stepped in to investigate the crisis, counsel the victims, heal the
community, and direct funds towards a lasting solution?

believed to be clean.