[Peace] [Announce] Bail Burden Keeps US Jails Stuffed With Inmates

Brian Dolinar briandolinar at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 09:04:40 CST 2010

I caught the second part of the series this morning and it was really very
good.
While we don't have bail bondsmen preying on people here
we do have people sitting in the jail unnecessarily for a number of reasons
if we look behind the bars.
We're following a guy's case who was being held on no bond under
questionable charges, who just had it dropped from $25k to $3k,
but is still waiting to hear back from a parole officer before being let out
- it's a long story.

Common are cases in city court where people are held for city tickets they
can't afford to pay and sit in the jail for weeks on end.
They get $20/day credit until they can pay off fines and costs.
I was following a guy who had thousands of dollars of traffic tickets he
couldn't afford to pay.
We've seen people with tickets for public urination who end up spending time
in the jail because they can't pay a ticket, rack up fines, etc.

This is going to be an issue in a couple years - as early as 2012 - when the
Sheriff will be asking to tear down the downtown jail and build a new one.
The County Board just approved $200,000 for a new cooling system in the
downtown jail - read today's NG.
The downtown jail is old and outdated, so says Sheriff Walsh.

With public pressure, the courts could be told to only lock up as many
people as the satellite jail will hold.
But this will require setting free many of these individuals in the jail for
lesser charges.
A FOIA to the Sheriff will tell us who is in jail for what.
Who wants to take this up?

BD

Brian Dolinar, Ph.D.
303 W. Locust St.