[Peace] [Announce] Bail Burden Keeps US Jails Stuffed With Inmates

William Brown urbanabill at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 22 02:23:53 CST 2010

Quite an indictment of Lubbock, TX!  Illinois is one of 4 states that ban commercial bail bondsmen. It's less of a problem here in Champaign County - judges seem to use ROR a lot, and since only 10% of bail is required to bond out, many do.  But I think there are some things like DUI that require a mandatory, pretty high bail.  It would be good to explore the local statistics, if you can get them.  The sheriff should have stats on how many of the population have bail set.

One clarification - "2/3 of the nations inmates" refers to local jail inmates only.  A little less than 1/3 of total US incarcerated population is in local jails.

Bill