[Peace] Notes & upcoming events from AWARE 7/25/10 meeting

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 27 11:45:57 CDT 2010

We discussed having a demonstration against Arizona's anti-immigrant
law, SB 1070, empowering local police to arrest anyone they suspect
of being an undocumented immigrant who can't prove otherwise,
which goes into effect this Thursday 7/29.  Two proposals -

   Sam and Allison (recently arrived in C-U, and welcome!)
     invite anyone interested to demonstrate with them
     on the I-74 overpass at Neil St.  (The 2 Red bus goes there.)
     They'll have a few signs, or make and bring your own.

   Jesse Phillippe talked about demonstrating against an
     Arizona-based company, or one supporting anti-immigrant
     measures there, which has a presence in C-U.
     Currently suggesting Jimmy John's, as described on
	http://boycottarizona1070.com/

     Jesse's proposed a meeting this evening (8:00pm Tue 7/27)
     at the Espresso Royale Cafe on Oregon and Goodwin in Urbana
     to sort out what to do.  [He has some cool ideas I think. -SL]

The National Peace Conference happened in Albany, NY last weekend:
    http://nationalpeaceconference.org/
Many videos of it have been posted:
    http://www.youtube.com/mediasanctuary

Supporters of Bradley Manning, accused of leaking the video
of US military casually firing on Iraqi civilians from the air,
are organizing in his defense -- for his sake, and for the sake of
whistleblowers in general:
    http://www.bradleymanning.org/

Upcoming events:

   Tue 7/27 8pm   Espresso Royale, Oregon & Goodwin, Urbana
	Planning for demonstration(s?) about Arizona's SB 1070 law.

   Tue 7/27  10pm
	Broadcast of AWARE On The Air, UPTV cable channel 6.
	(Recorded at 1pm Tuesday in Urbana City Council Chambers.)

   Thu 7/29  Arizona's SB 1070 anti-immigrant law goes into effect,
	 demonstration(s?) proposed --
	* 4:30 - 6:00 PM   Neil St. overpass of I-74;
	* and, possibly 5-6PM, on Green St. in Campustown.

   Sat 7/31  8am-noon
	We'll be as usual at the Farmer's Market!

   Sun 8/1  2:00-4:00 PM   Champaign Public Library, Robeson room "B"

	Short film, with discussion to follow,
	on torture and military tribunals:

	   "The Response"    (theresponsemovie.com)

	(Film provided by Rachel Storm, who will lead the discussion
	 afterward.  Amnesty International is sponsoring showings
	 of this film around the country, especially in June which was
	 UN Torture Awareness Month.)

	THE RESPONSE is a courtroom drama based on the
	actual transcripts of the Guantanamo Bay military tribunals.
	Three military officers must decide the fate of a suspected
	enemy combatant, accused of providing support to Al Qaeda;
	he claims to be an innocent victim of circumstances.

	While the officers see the classified evidence, the detainee
	does not.  While the officers know who has accused the detainee,
	the detainee does not.  In response, the government counters that
	to release such classified information could assist the terrorists
	and undermine U.S. national security.

	For the first time ever, THE RESPONSE holds a mirror up to the
	tribunals and allows an audience to see and hear for themselves what
	went on inside Guantanamo. While the three officers and the detainee
	are fictionalized composite characters, the dramatic situation of the
	legal process is fully accurate.

    Sun 8/22  (10am-3pm?)  Quad Day, on U of I campus.
	AWARE might have a presence.  Stay tuned.

    Fri 8/27 (5-11pm) - Sat 8/28 (11am-11pm)
	Urbana Sweet Corn Festival.  We've applied for a booth.
	A good way to interact with people from around the area.