[Peace] Partial victory against SB 1070. Protest is still on!

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 12:57:00 CDT 2010

RE: the July 29th demonstration about Arizona's law going into
effect... partial victory through a judicial ruling, but the
demonstration is still on today!

Friends,
activists, the U.S. District Court judge Susan Bolton has struck down
the most egregious provisions of SB 1070 in Arizona.

According to an Associated Press article:
"In her preliminary injunction, Bolton delayed provisions that
required immigrants to carry their papers and banned illegal
immigrants from soliciting employment in public places — a move aimed
at day laborers."

The judge also blocked officers from making warrantless arrests of
suspected illegal immigrants for crimes that can lead to deportation.

This ruling is an important, but partial victory. In the first place,
the law has not been struck down in its entirety. Second, Arizona
politicians will appeal the court's ruling, possibly all the way to
the Supreme Court. Third, this ruling does nothing to address the
400,000 deportations that President Obama's Justice Department has
carried out.

Join us tomorrow as we celebrate our victory but continue to demand:

A FULL Repeal of SB 1070!

A Moratorium on Raids and Deportations!

Join us at the I-74 overpass on Neil Street on Thursday, July 29th,
from 4:30pm to 6pm.