[Peace] Fwd: Crisis in Guatemala: Thousands Homeless After Agatha

Peter Rohloff rohloff at uiuc.edu
Wed Jun 2 05:45:05 CDT 2010

<http://campaign.constantcontact.com/render?v=0015XVNn_3fRZXfSXcHlnNaJI-tT4nOdla6bVcXYr_FCsnEzfDHQdAvmHmF_Fu-6PEx4QZSC1a9ePxLIbnjEvkj3et-d9rWUC1qLAT7_th1e--i-ZP8dNi462GsejQJwUbt>
           [image: Agatha collage]      *Tropical Storm Agatha Devastates
Guatemala
*
Dear Friends,

As you may have heard, over the weekend Guatemala was hit by Tropical Storm
Agatha. Hundreds are either missing or have perished while thousands more
have lost everything, including the roof over their heads, to flooding and
mudslides. Water and electricity are likely to be scarce for weeks and
medical resources will be spread thin. As is always the case, the poorest
are suffering the most.

Wuqu' Kawoq has had a strong presence in Guatemala for the past three years.
Though we are still gathering facts about the damage, all of our field staff
appear to be safe and our clinic in the Suchitepequez area undamaged. This
means that, with your support, we will be able to start offering emergency
care to some of those hardest hit by the crisis right away. Many of those
affected are our friends and partners.

Wuqu' Kawoq is currently organizing its on-the-ground staff in Guatemala and
using all of our local partnerships to get disaster relief to those most
affected. We are also gathering a group of doctors and relief workers for an
emergency medical trip to the area as soon as possible. We hope you will
join us in these efforts. There are several ways you can help:

      -Give a donation of  $25, $50, $100, or $500 right
now<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1103448590894&s=325&e=001aKPYUoLaTdTd1PbwGPAASSGtgWdBRgbUrM1S0Oeg8zTR9SGn1-lc9n8TIjeHYoUQbEXOFkLbGMepR_-AFA7wf_f9JVog8H6V32qC8i-6sDUFHLePtdRqmIsURYZpAQ8m1eW9ij-ekOI=>to
assist    with these emergency relief efforts. Every dollar will help.

     -Use the 'Forward' button on the right to send this email to friends.

    -Use the 'Sign Up' button on the right to sign up for our regular email
updates. We'll keep you updated on how the disaster is affecting WK's
patients and partners.

This storm has set the precedent for a very difficult year, and it is only
the very beginning of the Hurricane season. Already, thousands of homes have
been destroyed as well as countless crops that people depend on for
survival. Food shortages are likely. Your support is crucial in helping
dozens of families make it through this difficult time. Please donate
today.<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1103448590894&s=325&e=001aKPYUoLaTdTd1PbwGPAASSGtgWdBRgbUrM1S0Oeg8zTR9SGn1-lc9n8TIjeHYoUQbEXOFkLbGMepR_-AFA7wf_f9JVog8H6V32qC8i-6sDUFHLePtdRqmIsURYZpAQ8m1eW9ij-ekOI=>

Sincerely,

Anne Kraemer Diaz
WK Executive Director

  [image: socorro]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1103448590894&s=325&e=001aKPYUoLaTdSXMT709PYtVtIyCvGbWNw-xL6gqnN8S139HsdIVqJ5WRf09X7Ey9hOt9Q6Om-5kakUJi5phEU3H0HfdTKhQZcgNw6LP7_V_n4sC7l8HesX6Q==>
*About Us*
Wuqu' Kawoq was founded in 2007 by a group of scholars, health
professionals, and development workers partnering with indigenous
communities in Guatemala with the intent of addressing issues at the
intersection of Mayan language revitalization and health care delivery.
Since our founding, our work has grown considerably, and we now work with
thousands of patients in multiple communities throughout Guatemala.

Please visit our
website<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1103448590894&s=325&e=001aKPYUoLaTdSXMT709PYtVtIyCvGbWNw-xL6gqnN8S139HsdIVqJ5WRf09X7Ey9hOt9Q6Om-5kakUJi5phEU3H0HfdTKhQZcgNw6LP7_V_n4sC7l8HesX6Q==>to
learn more.

[image: Forward to a
Friend]<http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?m=1102026328962&a=1103448590894&ea=rohloff%40uiuc.edu>
  <http://visitor.constantcontact.com/email.jsp?m=1102026328962>
  Forward email<http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?m=1102026328962&ea=rohloff%40uiuc.edu&a=1103448590894>
This email was sent to rohloff at uiuc.edu by wuqu.kawoq at gmail.com.
Update Profile/Email
Address<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?v=001vAZEdqAbSf8n8OBB4xpLHhcj6apjtv7hnM0NHO6e8qWEh7c1AN03rw%3D%3D&p=oo>|
Instant removal with
SafeUnsubscribe<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?v=001vAZEdqAbSf8n8OBB4xpLHhcj6apjtv7hnM0NHO6e8qWEh7c1AN03rw%3D%3D&p=un>™
| Privacy Policy <http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp>.
 Email Marketing <http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=TEM_News_249>by
<http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=TEM_News_249>
Wuqu'Kawoq | PO Box 91 | Bethel | VT | 05032

--
Dr Peter Rohloff

Medical Director
Wuqu' Kawoq, S.A.
www.wuqukawoq.org
peter at wuqukawoq.org

"Strengthening Mayan language and medicine"

believed to be clean.