[Peace] ask videographer about Guantanamo

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed May 12 13:55:03 CDT 2010

This case is a good topic for discussion on News from Neptune on UPTV, this
Friday at 7pm on cable channel 6.

The case is not being reported, and Obama as a candidate opposed both Gitmo &
military commissions.  He's turned his back on that, as on so much else he said
and implied in the campaign.

If a precisely similar case had been prosecuted in the USSR to PRC, we'd all
have recognized it for the travesty of justice that it is.  And when the Bush
administration trashed Constitutional rights, they at least offered a theory
(the unitary executive) for what they were doing.  Obama approaches it all with
sublime indifference.

Seymour Hersh was quoted this morning as follows: "...the purpose of my [Abu
Ghraib] stories was to take it out of the field into the White House ... it’s
not that the President or the Secretary of Defense ... knew what happened in Abu
Ghraib. It’s that they had allowed this kind of activity to happen. And I’ll
tell you right now, one of the great tragedies of my country is that Mr. Obama
is looking the other way, because equally horrible things are happening to
prisoners - I mean to those we capture in Afghanistan. They’re being executed on
the battlefield. It’s unbelievable stuff going on there that doesn’t necessarily
get reported. And things don’t change.”

We let Obama preside over kangaroo courts, the torture of teenagers, and the
murder of captives.  But since he's a Good Guy, he mustn't have noticed.  --CGE

believed to be clean.