[Peace] NCB: Two Upcoming Events of Interest...

Rachel Storm rachelstrm at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 11:38:12 CDT 2010

*Interested in learning more about transgender identity and empowerment?
Come join us for two events early next week, featuring renown
activist-performer Scott Turner Schofield! *
 *
*
*Please forward widely to students, faculty, staff, and community members
for whom this event may be of interest and help us spread the word! *
*
*
Two Upcoming Events of Interest...

*The Women's Resources Center, YWCA, and LGBT Resource Center present:*
*Hot Topics: Identity Explored: Building Transgender and Genderqueer
Consciousness on Our Campus*
*WHERE: *Women's Resources Center (703 S. Wright St. MC-302 2nd Floor,
Champaign, IL 61820)
*WHEN: Monday, November 8th, 2010*
*TIME: 7pm*
*What is trans activism? Knowing that transgender is an umbrella word, what
can we do to suspend our assumptions of what "trans" looks like? What can
trans allies do to resist transgender violence? What can allies learn from t
**ransfo**lks? Come join us for a panel discussion of building transgender
and genderqueer consciousness on our campus and in the greater community.*
*Panelist Include: JM Kohfeld, Jay Pahre, Will Leone, and Scott Turner
Schofield *
*RSVP on Facebook here: *
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=164186410269343
 <http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=164186410269343>
*The Women's Resources Center, YWCA, and LGBT Resource Center present:*
*"Two Truths and a Lie" by Scott Turner Schofield--**a (free) theater
performance*
*WHERE: *Allen Hall's Main Lounge (1005 W. Gregory Ave. Urbana, IL 61801)
*WHEN: Tuesday, November 9th, 2010*
*TIME: 7pm*
Scott Turner Schofield is a man who was a woman, a lesbian turned straight
guy who is usually taken for a gay teenager. The work and life on which it
is based contain hilarious contradictions bordered with the possibility of
terrifying consequences. Key to the work is a keen awareness of culture and
self that maintains an accessible perspective even within the most
particular of circumstances.From inside his young life on a Homecoming Court
and Debutante Ball circuit (in a dress), armed with only a decoder ring and
a gifted tongue, Schofield comes out with truly unbelievable stories of a
body in search of an identity. Paid for in part by the Student Cultural
Programming Fee (SCPF).
*RSVP on Facebook here: *
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=128344723886357

*Oh and if you'd like a little preview, check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqA8GuHKH7M*
*

*
--