[Peace] Response to column in DI

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 12 17:21:02 CST 2010

I am posting this to both the Peace and Peace-Discuss lists. If you reply in
substantive terms, please only respond to the peace-discuss list.

I have submitted the following letter to the DI, and posted a version in the
Comments section on their website. I would encourage anyone to post a comment
that simply states their views. The comments are moderated, however, and do not
appear immediately. I would suggest that you copy your comment before attempting
to post it through their particularly unreliable and often unreadable CAPTCHA
software.

http://www.dailyillini.com/opinions/columns/2010/11/10/ui-veterans-should-be-paid-deserved-respect

Chad Garland (11/11) has written a column titled "UI veterans should be paid
deserved respect."

As citizens of this country, we are all responsible for the political decisions
that result in the immoral and unjust wars and occupations supported by our
government, including those in Iraq and Afghanistan. Those who serve in those
armies, whether by choice or lack of an educational or vocational alternative,
are no less responsible for their participation in the inherently brutal
treatment of citizens of those countries that have been illegally invaded and
occupied by our military forces.

As a result of the very nature of decisions made by our leaders, American
soldiers  participate in these crimes at a relatively more active level than
most of the rest of us, who silently consent. Neither group is morally superior
to the other, and no respect is due to any party to these crimes. Veterans
deserve to be brought home and have their needs met--medically, educationally,
economically. More importantly, the millions of faceless living victims of our
crimes deserve apologies and reparations.

David Green