[Peace] events: Mennonites on Iran Fri/Sat/Sun; and, Islam Awareness Week this week

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.illinois.edu
Mon Oct 25 13:48:53 CDT 2010

A couple more events coming this week:

[1] Mennonite couple who've been living in Tehran to speak: 10/29-30-31
[2] Islamic Awareness Week, events every day 10/25-30

[1]  (from Conrad Wetzel at yesterday's AWARE meeting)
   An American Mennonite couple who have been living in Tehran
   for the last several years, getting to know people there and
   being an American presence, are coming to speak about
   their experiences and impressions of Iran:

     6:30 PM Friday, Oct 29th
	CIMIC, the Central IL Mosque and Islamic Center,
	will be their hosts this Friday.
	(They're at 106 S. Lincoln in Urbana, but CIMIC's parking
	lot and entrance is a block east, on Busey Ave.)

     5:00-7:00PM Saturday, Oct 30th
	Fundraising dinner at the Mennonite church,
	902 W. Springfield (Lincoln & Springfield).
	Food provided jointly by the people of the Mosque
	and of the Mennonite Church.

     9:15AM Sunday, Oct 31st
	At the Mennonite Church: They'll be present
	during the regular church service that morning.

   I understand that they'll be giving presentations
   at all three of these.

=================================

[2]  (from Fatemah Hermes of CIMIC)

Islamic Awareness Week (IAW) begins Monday! This annual event is hosted
by the Muslim Student Association (MSA) of UIUC in order to
promote understanding about Islam and Muslims. We hope to see you there!

More information available at:  http://www.cimic.org
or details on events below at:  http://www.msauiuc.org/events.html

(Most events are on the UofI campus.)

African Islamic Roots in Ancient and Colonial America,
Monday (Oct. 25) 7 to 9pm
Library room 66

Issues Facing Mmuslim-Americans in the Present Day
Tuesday (Oct. 26) 7 to 9pm
Bevier room 180

Why Did I Become Muslim?
A panel sharing why they became Muslim and how it affects their daily lives
Wednesday (Oct. 27) 1 to 2:30pm
Bevier room 328

Islam 101
A presentation on the basics of Islam followed by a Q&A session with Muslim students.
Wednesday (Oct. 27) 7 to 9pm
Gregory Hall 223

1001 Inventions
An outline of the contributions Islam and Muslims have given to our society
Thursday (Oct. 28) 7 to 9pm
Gregory Hall 223

Mosque Open House
Visit the Friday services and watch the congregational prayer. Lunch provided.
Friday (Oct. 29) 1 to 2:30pm
CIMIC (106 S. Lincoln; but the entrance/parking is one block east, on Busey)

"Unveiled"
A one-woman play portraying five Muslim women in a post 9/11 world
Friday (Oct. 29) 7 to 9pm
Location to be announced