[Peace] Bloomington-Normal Peace and Justice Calendar 4.19.11

Corey Mattson coreymattson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 23:08:45 CDT 2011

Hi AWAREistas, I'm not sure if activists in Urbana-Champaign have seen the
progressive calendar we put out over our anti-war listserv in
Bloomington-Normal. We try to include the events happening in
Urbana-Champaign from what we collect over your listservs. I thought I'd
send out this week's edition. If you have the details of specific events you
would like included, send me an email at coreymattson at gmail.com.

In solidarity, Corey
Blo-No Citizens for Peace and Justice

Bloomington-Normal Peace and Justice Calendar
April 19th, 2011

*Contents (Details for each event below)*

1. 4/20 - Hemp Fest 2011 - Normal
2. 4/21 - Earth Day on the ISU Quad - Normal
3. 4/21 - Common Action planning meeting - Normal
4. 4/21 - Take Back the Night Rally - Bloomington
5. 4/24 - CAFS discussion on Palestine - Normal
6. 4/25 - Sustainability Evening with Jordan Howard - Normal
7. 4/30 - 7th Annual Earth Day Celebration - Peoria Heights
8. 4/30 - Plaque Dedication & Reenactment of the Haymarket Tragedy - Chicago
9. 5/3 - Green Drinks hosted by the Ecology Action Center - Normal
10. 5/4 - Birthday Celebration for Pete Seeger - Bloomington
11. 5/5 - Anti-war Protest - Bloomington
12. 5/6 - Jasmine Flora speaks on Palestinian Rights - Peoria
13. 5/16 - Showdown in Ohio, Bus Leaving from Blm - Bloomington/Columbus
14. List of Ongoing Central Illinois Peace Vigils
15. List of conferences and happenings

1. Wednesday, 4/20, 12 noon - 6 pm, Hemp Fest 2011: Stand in Solidarity
Against the Drug War. Special Guest Speaker Pete Guither, Founder of
DrugWarRant.com. Co-sponsored by Common Action, Student Environmental Action
Coalition, Students for Sensible Drug Policy, and Young Americans for
Liberty. At the Gazebo, Illinois State Quad, Normal, IL.

2. Thursday, 4/21, 10 am - 3 pm, Earth Day on the ISU Quad. There will be
student and community organizations on the quad to promote Earth Day. Come
and check out the new Mitsubishi "I", an all electric vehicle soon to hit
the roads in Bloomington-Normal, do a water taste test, enjoy the Free
Cycle. North End of the ISU Quad, Normal IL. For more info, see
http://sustainability.illinoisstate.edu/involved/earth_day.shtml

3. Thursday, 4/21, 6:00 pm, Common Action planning meeting. Look for us at
one of the large tables at...The Coffeehouse, 114 Beaufort Street, Normal,
IL.

4. Thursday, 4/21, 6:30 pm, Take Back the Night Rally. Open to the public,
survivors and loved ones. Join us as we rally together to show community
survivors our support. Rally from 6:30-7:45p.m. in Bloomington Public
Library; March the streets of Bloomington from 7:45-8:30p.m. and speak out
for survivors everywhere. Help us “Take Back the Night”!

5. Sunday, 4/24, 5:30 pm, Common Action Free School group discussion on
North Africa and the Middle East. Join us in discussing Palestine and Israel
with Reecia Orzeck, a visiting geographer from the University of Vermont.
The Coffeehouse (in the basement), 114 E. Beaufort St., Normal, IL. For more
info, see www.commonactionfreeschool.org.

6. Monday, 4/25, 5 - 7 pm, Sustainability Evening with Jordan Howard. The
event will feature keynote speaker Jordan
Howard<http://jordaninspires.com/home/>,
a young sustainability advocate from Los Angeles. Jordan is currently a
senior at the Environmental Charter High School in Lawndale, California. She
will inform the audience about simple ways to implement sustainable
practices into their own lives, as well as talk about some of her
accomplishments in the field. Illinois State's Director of the Office of
Sustainability, Enid Cardinal, will also speak about what the University is
doing to contribute to the effort. Appetizers will be served; no tickets
needed. Escalante Room, Vrooman Hall (East Campus), ISU, Normal IL. For info
on this and other events, see
http://sustainability.illinoisstate.edu/involved/earth_day.shtml

7. Saturday, 4/30, 11 am - 4 pm. 7th Annual Earth Day Celebration in Peoria
Heights. Here's your opportunity to "think globally, act locally." Peruse
the numerous booths, locate local resources and learn what you can do to
make a difference. Enjoy live music from Patchouli, The LR Band and Peter
Adriel as well as great local food from One World Cafe, educational
materials and hands-on demos, kids' crafts and face painting and much more.
Join our raffle, register to win door prizes and enjoy our annual Earth Day
Sale in the Trailhead Nature Store. Fee: Donations requested. Forest Park
Nature - 5809 Forest Park Drive, Peoria Heights, IL. 309-686-3360.

8. Saturday, 4/30, 2 pm, Plaque Dedication & Reenactment of the Haymarket
Tragedy. ILHS will formally dedicate a prominent bronze plaque on the
Haymarket statue to mark the 125th Anniversary of the Haymarket tragedy. The
ceremony will be capped by a reenactment of the Haymarket events directed by
stager Paul Durica. We need hundreds of our supporters, who will be aided by
professional actors and musicians, to take part in portraying the crowd of
workers present on the scene 125 years ago. Haymarket Square, Randolph & Des
Plaines, Chicago.

9. Tuesday, 5/3, 5:30 pm. Green Drinks hosted by the Ecology Action Center.
Medici Restaurant, Beaufort Street, Normal, IL. For more info, see,
www.ecologyactioncenter.org.

10. Wednesday, 5/4, 7 pm, For the Love of Pete: 92nd Birthday Celebration
for Pete Seeger. Songs that inspired the nation-and helped drive the civil
rights movement of the 50s and 60s will ring through the Governor Fifer
Courtroom on Wednesday evening.  Seeger himself will not be present but many
of his Central Illinois fans will be.  Cost: FREE!   Location: McLean County
Museum of History, 200 N. Main Street, Bloomington, IL 61701, 309-827-0428.

11. Thursday, 5/5, 5:30 - 6:00 pm, Anti-war Protest, hosted by
Bloomington-Normal Citizens for Peace and Justice. BNCPJ holds an anti-war
picket the first Thurs of the month. Center for the Performing Arts on East
Street, between Locust and Douglas, downtown Bloomington. For more
information, contact Jan Cox at jkcox30 at yahoo.com  or (309) 829-3701.

12. Friday, 5/6, 7 pm, Jasmine Flora speaks on Palestinian rights, drawing
from her experiences in Israel and Palestine. Location: Forest Hill United
Methodist Church. 706 E Forrest Hill Ave, Peoria, IL.

13. Monday, 5/16, 5 am, Showdown in Ohio - Bus Leaving from Bloomington, IL
5/16 5 am SHARP (Bus will return to Bloomington on May 17, 9 pm).
Foreclosures and joblessness are at record highs while Wall Street is back
in business with record profits. Most of America’s largest banks paid no
taxes last year, and yet politicians backed by Wall Street are proposing to
cut education and critical social programs. We are not in a budget crisis --
we are in a massive revenue crisis caused by Wall Street’s epic crash of our
economy. Come demonstrate with hundreds of other IPA and NPA members Where:
Columbus, Ohio. Bus traveling to and from Bloomington, IL. For more info,
check out Facebook at
https://www.facebook.com/?sk=messages&tid=1325865884076#!/event.php?eid=122809497794786&index=1

14. Peace Vigils and Pickets

Bloomington-Normal: First Thursday of the month, 5:30 - 6:00 pm, at the
Center for Performing Arts (East Street between Douglas and Locust),
downtown Bloomington.

Peoria: Every Saturday, 12 Noon - 1 pm, at the corner of University and
Main, near Bradley University.

Springfield: Every Saturday, 12 Noon - 1 pm, Meet outside the Federal
Building at the corner of 6th and Monroe.

Urbana - Champaign: First Saturday of the month, Monthly Anti-war
Demonstration, at the corner of Main Street and Neil Street.

15. List of national conferences and happenings.

4/30 Honor the Haymarket Martyrs in Chicago for Mayday. More info on this
event and others, visit on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=195577953800002&index=1