[Peace] Occupy C-U "Move Your Money" rally & march, Dec. 10th, 11-1

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 10:59:19 CST 2011

*/Occupy CU Rally and March/*

*/to launch the 'Move Your Money' campaign and withdraw our consent from
big banks

/**When:* Saturday, December 10th, 11am-1pm(rain or shine)

*Where:* Gather at the West Side Park Pavilion in downtown
Champaign(near corner of S. State Streetand W. University  Ave). March
with us to Chase Bank in downtown Champaign(at University and Randolph)

*What:* March, rally, speak-out, and performance showcase to kick off
Occupy CU's Move Your Money Campaign.

*Why:* Billions of U.S.tax dollars went towards bailing out the very
banks responsible for the economic collapse. Meanwhile, our public
services are being eroded, homes are being foreclosed on, families are
being put out onto the streets, and the rate of unemployment is stuck at
high levels. As big banks rake in profits from corporate investments, on
top of the bailout fortune they have already received, they continue
exploitive lending practices that disproportionately target low-income
communities and people of color, with no accountability for how they
have spent our money.

Moving our money from a big bank to a credit union is one way we can
withdraw our consent from a financial system that is selling out our
communities. We recognize that not everyone has money to move and that
this is one of the many ways people around the United Statesand world
are mobilizing against corporate greed on behalf of the 99%. Occupy
Champaign-Urbana is inviting you to participate in the launch of the
Move Your Money campaign, to share your stories and experiences, and to
join with us as we work together to take back our public goods.

Please feel free to get in touch with any questions. We can be reached
at (574) 3 URBANAwhich is the same as (574) 387-2262

*Background*

1) Claiming that the big banks are â??too big to failâ??, their top
executives and close allies in Washingtondemanded a bailout costing
taxpayers billions of dollars. These â??too bigâ?? banks have _grown_
since we bailed them out. The largest 5 banks held 13% of U.S.deposits
in 1994; today they hold 38%.

  2) The banks we bailed out played a key role in creating the mortgage
  crisis, but they are bailing out very few families facing
  foreclosure.Bank of America for example, makes 1 out of 5 home loans
  in the country and its market share of the U.S.home mortgage market
  grew during the financial crisis from 5.1% o in 2006 to 19% in 2009.
  Yet it has offered permanent modifications on only 5.2% of the loans
  eligible under the Making Home Affordable Program.

3) Wall Street CEOs and high-level managers keep drawing millions of
dollars in bonuses despite the damage they have done (or perhaps because
of it).In 2008 Wall Streetpaid out $18.4 billion in cash bonuses, their
sixth largest bonus pool on record.//