[Peace] January 27; 6:30pm / screenings of Independent Lens documentaries prior to their broadcast on WILL-TV

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 13:21:24 CST 2011

[I thought PEACE might be interested in this... screenings of
Independent Lens documentaries prior to their broadcast on WILL-TV.
-karen medina]

First event: For Once in My Life / screening and post screening discussion
January 27, 2011
6:30 PM
Champaign Public Library, Robeson Rooms A & B
200 W. Green St.
Urbana-Champaign, IL 61820
- http://ww.itvs.org/screenings

--- forwarded email ---
The Community Cinema Series is a partnership between WILL and
Independent Lens, a program of the Independent Television Service
(ITVS).  Community Cinema is an event that provides monthly community
screenings and discussions of Independent Lens documentaries prior to
their broadcast on WILL-TV. We will schedule screenings and panel
discussions around topics raised by the different documentaries. Our
goals with this series are to connect our audiences with documentaries
and to open dialogue about issues raised in the documentaries.

The film for our first screening is, For Once in My Life,
http://ww.itvs.org/films/for-once-in-my-life  For Once in My Life is
the story of a unique band of singers and musicians, and their journey
to show the world the greatness – and killer soundtrack – within each
of them. The 28 band members have a wide range of mental and physical
disabilities, as well as musical abilities that extend into ranges of
pure genius. In a cinema vérite style, the film explores the struggles
and triumphs, and the healing power of music, as the band members'
unique talents are nurtured to challenge the world's perceptions.

  The screening and post screening discussion will be held at the
Champaign Public Library in the Robeson Rooms A & B on Thursday,
January 27, 2011 starting at 6:30pm.

The films in the series are on different topics but they all raise
questions about issues we can relate to, in our community. The
different issues are important to different groups of people and I
don’t want to miss anyone as we advertise our Community Cinema series.
The first film may be of interest to community members with
disabilities, their family members and care givers. For our screening
we will have a closed captioned version of the film. I will arrange to
have a qualified sign language interpreter, translate the discussion
part of our evening for audience members needing this service.

--
-- karen medina
"The really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." - Mark Twain