[Peace] It's not over,

Ya'aqov Ziso yaaqovz at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 15:45:50 CDT 2011

yet, some pros and cons are in place already (and invites for your
comments!):

PROS:

   - international attention is focused now on Gaza, its blockade and
   sub-standard living conditions
   - non-violent protest made headway, placing critical weight in the
   political-diplomatic sphere (away from bloodshed of Flotilla I)
   - major media refers to Israeli anti-occupation activists for their
   coverage (see Gisha in
   http://globalspin.blogs.time.com/2011/07/03/the-flotilla-sequel-this-time-with-diplomacy/
   )
   - several Israeli blocked items have been recently allowed
   - Israeli Army's commenders admitted their ineffectiveness vis-a-vis
   non-violent protest
   - editorial efforts of Israeli Government describing Gaza by omitting the
   words 'blockade' and 'occupation' have been successfully bypassed
   - Israel accepts Greek offer to transport flotilla’s aid to Gaza
   http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/israel-accepts-greek-offer-to-transport-flotilla-s-aid-to-gaza-1.371136

   - Israel approves transfer of $100 million of building goods into Gaza
   http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/israel-approves-transfer-of-100-million-of-building-goods-into-gaza-1.368958

CONS:

   - Israeli blockade and occupation is still in effect
   - Hamas' role in government of Gaza is still obfuscated by editorial
   efforts of US agencies not mentioning Hamas' governing role in Gaza and its
   resistance to voices for democracies and social change (see
   JustForeignPolicy's http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/node/952 or CEPR's
   http://www.cepr.net/index.php/op-eds-&-columns/op-eds-&-columns/non-violent-protest-works-thats-why-qthe-audacity-of-hopeq-is-being-held-up-in-greece.

NOT DECIDED YET:

   - allegations of sabotage against Flotilla II boats

TOWARD FURTHER ACTION -- QUESTIONS:

   - how can we address directly Palestinian voices for democracy of Gaza
   without interceptions from Hamas?
   - which efforts can we exert in the US to foster export of goods from
   Gaza?
   - which efforts can we exert in the US to foster Gazan Palestinians'
   passage between Gaza and the West Bank?
   - is Hamas going to revert its mision and strategy and proceed via
   non-violent protests?
   - which non-violent protests will be in place next, short and long-term?

Given voices of Palestinians in Gaza and their needs for exports and free
passage to the West Bank,  how can we facilitate that?
*Ya'aqov*