[Peace] March 10; 7pm / Whereas conventional systems ask "Who is at fault?" and "What's the appropriate punishment?", restorative systems ask "What harm was done?" and "How do we repair it?" The difference is not just linguistic, but creates the opportunity

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 17:04:27 CST 2011

A talk: Using restorative practices to engage racial and other types of
community conflicts.

Among the cases Mikhail Lyubansky, Ph.D will talk about is this recent one
in Seattle in which the police shot to death an American Indian street wood
carver when the carver didn't put down his carving knife. As it happens, the
attorney hired by the carver's family is a restorative circle practitioner
and, at her suggestion, the family and the police department agreed to do a
restorative circle. This article doesn't go into a lot of detail, but it
does include a pdf of the agreements voluntarily made between the family and
the police department at the conclusion of the circle. The document is in
many ways remarkable, both in its range and imagination:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2014113565_diazreport03m.html

The talk is open to the public, so please feel free to forward the
invitation to anyone you think may be interested.

At 7 pm on Thursday March 10, 2011 in the auditorium of the Urbana Free
Library,
A talk by Mikhail Lyubansky on "Using Restorative Justice to Heal Race
Relations and Other Community Conflicts."
Host: the Champaign County Libertarian Party

For those of us living in the United States, "doing justice" is mostly
synonymous with administering punishment. Indeed, many of us would be hard
pressed even to imagine an alternative justice system.

Yet alternatives abound in the form of restorative justice. Whereas
conventional systems ask "Who is at fault?" and "What's the appropriate
punishment?", restorative systems ask "What harm was done?" and "How do we
repair it?" The difference is not just linguistic, but creates the
opportunity for genuine healing.

Restorative justice has implications across a wide range of contexts, from
schools to family courts, from criminal justice systems to community
relations. What would our communities and their institutions look like if
they used restorative practices?

Psychology professor and restorative circle practitioner Mikhail Lyubansky
will share one particular restorative practice, called restorative circles,
which has been used in many parts of the world to transform how people
engage with conflict and with each other.

The talk is free and open to the public, with refreshments and time for
questions.

More about the speaker: Mikhail Lyubansky, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign:
http://www.psych.uiuc.edu/~lyubansk
Blogger, Psychology Today:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/between-the-lines
Managing Editor, OpEdNews: http://www.opednews.com/author/author18834.html