[Peace] events Friday, March 11 / Linda Weber's birthday / Emotional Responses to Terrorism at the Y, noon / Walk out and rally 2pm / Democracy's Gift 4pm in 319 Gregory Hall

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Mar 10 16:22:44 CST 2011

[If you're going to hear the awful Lynn at noon, you might see the following as
an antidote. Happy birthday, Linda. --CGE]

Transnational Studies Colloquium
(Sociology, Geography, and Urban and Regional Planning)
Friday, 11 March, 2:00 p.m.
Levis Faculty Center, 3rd Floor

MICHAEL BURAWOY
Professor, Department of Sociology, University of California, Berkeley
President, International Sociological Association
“What Should We Mean by Global Sociology?”

Classical sociology has conventionally been trapped within the framework of the
nation-state. Today we have to think globally but without denying the importance
of the national container. As a first step this means comparing different
countries, but the more important step is to try to see the world as a unit unto
itself, populated by organizations, networks and movements that transcend
national boundaries. In this context what shall we mean by global sociology? We
have to first ask a prior question: what is sociology? This paper is based on
the premise that sociology takes the standpoint of civil society, just as
economists take the standpoint of markets and political scientists take the
standpoint of the state. Civil society first emerged at the end of the 19th
century in Europe in response to the destructive expansion of national markets,
especially labor markets. Today, the capitalist economy assumes a global
character, but a global character with a momentum that is outside the control of
nation states. The destructiveness of this contemporary wave marketization
transcends national boundaries as we see in such phenomena as financial crises,
global warming and human trafficking. In contesting this destructiveness civil
society must also transcend national boundaries as it does, potentially, in
social movements, NGOs, and religion. Such a putative global civil society calls
for a sociology that is based not just in a local or national civil society, but
assumes global dimensions. This global sociology is very different from the
hegemonic project of national sociologies that falsely present themselves as
universal, just as it is different from the retreat into particularism. Rather a
global sociology requires us to stitch together national sociologies from below.
It requires a community of sociologists that transcends national boundaries, but
created through a dialogue among national sociologies.