[Peace] PICKET BOARD OF TRUSTEES CHAIR CHRIS KENNEDY'S SPEECH, Monday, March 14th, 11:30 AM

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 12 14:23:20 CST 2011

Friends,

I've pasted a campus-wide e-mail from President Michael Hogan at the end of this
message which I'm sure most of you received. The assumption of this e-mail is
that "we," the "U of I community," must naturally support his efforts to promote
the virtues of our university. To me, it's important to understand that this
laundry list is not only provinical boosterism on the one hand, but propaganda
on the other. We are asked, as a "community," to accept the basic economic
assumptions of corporate higher education and "human capital" in an unjust
society. We are asked to view ourselves in solidarity as an "interest group" in
relation to the state legislature. We are asked not to question anything
fundamental about the corporate-military state and the university's integration
into that state. As workers for social justice, we are asked to allow ourselves
to be co-opted in the name of a few dollars more or less for the U of I budget
from our magnanimous legislature.

When Hogan sends out such a message, he can't imagine why anyone who receives a
paycheck from or pays tuition to the university could possibly not support him
wholeheartedly, at least out of "self interest." But we must honestly ask
ourselves: If the university contributes so much economically to our state, then
why does our state's economy suck? Or our nation's? The answer will be found in
long-term policies that have been wholeheartedly supported for decades by
university administrators and corporate elites like Michael Hogan, which
generally go under the rubric of neoliberalism, corporatism, privatization, and
military-industrialism; that is, class warfare. And to keep this academic virtue
going, all the way to utopia, we need just a few more dollars from the state
legislature?

Through my place of employment, the Institute for Government and Public Affairs,
I also received an e-mail "personally" from Robert Rich urgently requesting my
attendance at the talk by Kennedy on Monday. I am perplexed by this--as if they
were worried they wouldn't fill the seats for this momentous occasion (to hear
boosterism-propaganda about the research university), or as if they are worried
that the seats will be filled by the "wrong people." The request for RSVPs is
also unusual, as if this were a cocktail party to "meet a Kennedy." Let me add
that the IGPA is a "non-partisan" policy research and advisory group that in no
way supports any view that might challenge the fundamental assumptions of the
political and corporate establishments, and business-as-usual. That is what
"non-partisan" means in an academic context.

I could be making too much of this, but this occasion nevertheless presents an
obvious opportunity, in the spirit of Cairo and Madison. Chris Kennedy
represents what President Clark Kerr represented to Berkeley students during the
Free Speech Movement in 1964: managerialism, corporatism, conformity, business
as ususal: "the best of all possible worlds." In 1964, California was
experiencing prosperity probably unparalled in any state at any time in the
history of this country, before or since, and school was essentially free, but
students rebelled against the condescension of university administrators, and
much more (racism, the Vietnam War).

I would encourage demonstrators to look well beyond the issue of tuition hikes
and other more immediate economic concerns, as well as demands related to
admissions policies, to these fundamental political, social, and economic
contexts. I would encourage local social justice organizations to see this as an
opportunity to discourage "business as usual" on this occasion. I would suggest
that prior to this event, there be collective and open meetings and discussions
of agendas, demands, and plans of action. This seems to me like an opportunity
that reflects the confluence of the spirit of our times, for worse and better.

David Green

________________________________

From: Ben Rothschild <rothsch2 at gmail.com>
To: undergraduate-graduate-alliance
<undergraduate-graduate-alliance at googlegroups.com>; SC
<geo-stewards at lists.uigeo.org>; announce at lists.communitycourtwatch.org;
discuss at lists.communitycourtwatch.org; peace at lists.chambana.net;
students-for-a-united-illinois at googlegroups.com;
illinois-education-rights at googlegroups.com; Campus Labor Coalition
<campuslabor at lists.uigeo.org>; defend-education at googlegroups.com
Sent: Sat, March 12, 2011 10:33:41 AM
Subject: [Peace] PICKET BOARD OF TRUSTEES CHAIR CHRIS KENNEDY'S SPEECH, Monday,
March 14th, 11:30 AM

PICKET BOARD OF TRUSTEES CHAIR CHRIS KENNEDY'S SPEECH

Monday, March 14th, 11:30 AM
Beckman Institute, 405 North Mathews Avenue, URBANA, ILLINOIS

The University is raising tuition by over $500.

______________________

Dear Colleagues,

On Wednesday I had an opportunity to testify before the state Senate
Appropriations II Committee. It was a great forum for me to articulate
the "value proposition," as one senator put it, of the state's investment
in the University of Illinois. I was able to share our many outstanding
accomplishments, including:

- The University of Illinois produces about $13.1 billion per year in
direct and indirect economic impact on the Illinois economy -- a return
of more than $17 for every $1 the state invests through its annual
appropriation to the University.
- University of Illinois operations directly and indirectly generate more
than 150,000 jobs in the state annually.
- The annual activity of our University creates more than $1.3 billion in
future tax revenue to the state, resulting in a net annual gain to the
state of about $535 million.
- The vast health sciences complex on our Chicago campus educates a
significant number of health care professionals practicing in Illinois
and provides state-of-the-art care through more than 400,000 patient
visits each year.
- Our Springfield campus, among the best public liberal arts universities
in the Midwest, has garnered national recognition for its advances in
online education and blended learning.
- Graduates of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign have the
highest median mid-career salary among graduates of all Big Ten
universities, and the ninth-highest median mid-career salary among all
U.S. public research universities.
- Our Urbana campus students have the second-highest graduation rate in
the Big Ten and second-lowest debt upon graduation.
- The combined federal research funding across our campuses puts us in
the top five among U.S. public research universities.
- The wages and salaries of our alumni contribute about $21.2 billion
annually to the state economy and about 265,000 jobs.

The senators were very impressed by all our contributions to the state.
The exchange also gave me an opportunity to highlight the distinctive
missions and exceptional performance of each of our campuses. This
resonated positively with the senators. At the same time, they
articulated, as they must, the State's profound long-term budget crisis.
Their questions covered a wide range of subjects, from faculty and staff
salaries to tuition waivers to academic programs and administrative
operations. I aggressively defended our policies, particularly on
salaries and graduate tuition waivers. I explained that, among other
things, appropriate compensation adjustments are one of my highest
priorities. Of course, they wanted to know what we're doing to help
ourselves, and how we might replace lost positions and increase salaries,
when there is no additional support for either in the governor's fiscal
2012 budget proposal. That gave me an opportunity to explain we are
making progress on the Administrative Review & Restructuring (ARR)
reforms.

I reported our efforts to streamline business functions across the
University, with the expectation of building, over three years, annual
savings of $60 million or more -- funds we must reallocate to manage any
future cuts in state support, avoid furlough days, make compensation
adjustments, and replenish some of the faculty and staff positions we
have lost. I also had an opportunity to explain how the reforms
implemented thus far have already saved over $5 million in the first half
of the current fiscal year, and we expect another $5 million by July 1.

These savings come at a minimum net cost to the University, as we've
reconfigured four of five positions, rather than creating entirely new
ones, to implement the reforms. We just announced the appointment of Dr.
Larry Schook, as interim Vice President for Research. The VP-Research
role takes on the portfolio of the former Vice President for Technology
and Economic Development position, along with the added responsibility of
advancing our research enterprise across the three campuses and in state
and federal arenas. Also, we've expanded the portfolios of three existing
and highly experienced administrators:  Steve Veazie, who'll add
oversight of collective bargaining across our campuses to his
responsibilities as Deputy University Counsel, is taking on the added
title of Executive Director of Labor and Employee Relations; Maureen
Parks, as Executive Director for Human Resources, will add to her
responsibilities oversight across our campuses of HR services and
processes involving civil service and academic professionals whose work
doesn't entail a direct academic role; and Michael Hites, who'll work
with campus chief information officers (CIOs) as the University's
Executive CIO to enhance enterprise IT services and infrastructure
delivered on all our campuses. Finally, we added just one new position,
an Interim Vice President for Health Affairs, which will be supported by
clinical revenues. We've appointed Dr. Joe "Skip" Garcia to this position
and charged him with enhancing our clinical healthcare mission, which has
the potential to realize substantial new revenues and savings, while
improving education and research opportunities and enhancing service to
the hundreds of thousands of patients we serve.

I've heard that some might not be aware of these changes or are confused
about how they're being made. The new cost is nominal, because, as noted
above, we've reconfigured existing positions, rather than adding new ones
(except for the VP-Health Affairs). We expect these changes to drive the
reforms that will produce the $60-plus million in savings that our
estimates indicate we can achieve. Most important, these changes will
improve the financial circumstances for each campus, enabling each to
remain competitive and enhance its performance and its distinctive
mission. Additionally, our effectiveness in these cost-savings efforts
will inform the Board's tuition decision, under the policy it adopted at
the January Board Meeting.

In the midst of the state's profound budget problems and our efforts to
deal with the implications for our great University, I'm proud that so
many of you are working collaboratively on these reforms, are focusing on
the big picture, and are recognizing the opportunity for positive
transformation, which improves services and saves precious resources.

As I've been doing, I'll continue to keep you informed of our legislative
work and our progress on ARR reforms. Since joining our great University
last July, I've spent hundreds of hours on more than 60 meetings with
campus senates and their leaders, student groups, deans, department
chairs, collective bargaining unit leaders, academic professionals, and
other constituencies comprising our shared governance system. Some may
wish I could spend more time with them and I'll continue to do my best to
visit with you. These consultations have been very beneficial and at the
urging of faculty, staff, and students we've made many changes to
proposals under consideration before I arrived and shortly thereafter.
These include: taking the proposal to combine the campus chancellor and
provost positions off the table; reversing the decision to combine the VP-
Academic Affairs with the VP-TED; keeping the provost title for vice
chancellors of academic affairs; changing the VP-Research, TED title
to "VP-Research;" and ensuring that the VP-Health Affairs description
includes alignment of the clinical enterprise with our academic and
research missions. All these adjustments arose from my consultations with
so many of you. I'm grateful for your good advice and welcome it as we
continue to move forward.

None of this would have been possible without your support and the help
of chancellors, vice presidents, and others on the ARR Steering
Committee. Also, I'm grateful for the participation of President Emeritus
Stan Ikenberry, who launched the ARR efforts before I arrived and remains
a close friend and advisor.

As my session Wednesday with the committee of the state Senate
demonstrated, we have a great story to tell -- one that impresses our
senators and the people of our state. I urge you all to keep telling it,
as I will. Our story is one of sustained success and accomplishment, even
in very challenging times. Leaders throughout the state and nation are
looking to the University of Illinois to bring the exceptional talents of
our faculty, staff, and students to bear on the pressing issues of our
time. I couldn't be more proud of how we are rising to these challenges
and of the tremendous progress we are making together.

Sincerely,

Mike
President, University of Illinois

This mailing approved by:
The Office of the President

Last year, they hiked by it $1000 and MAP Grant funding is being cut. Yet they
gave the president a $170,000 pay raise. The tuition hike vote is taking place
on March 23rd, during our spring break, in Springfield!

STOP THE TUITION HIKE! Increase Underrepresented Minority Student Enrollment!
Create a Financial Aid Program for Undocumented Students! Fair Contract for ALL
UI Workers! Education is Not a Business - No More Privatization!

REMEMBER TO RESERVE A SEAT AT THE SPEECH:
http://igpa.uillinois.edu/chris-kennedy

See attached flyer.

Coalition to Defend Affirmative Action, Integration, and Immigration Rights and
Fight for Equality By Any Means Necessary (BAMN)