[Peace] October is Domestic Violence Month, so check out the events at the Women's Resource Center

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 19:57:57 CDT 2011

October is Domestic Violence Month, so check out the events at the
Women's Resource Center
http://studentaffairs.illinois.edu/diversity/women/news.html

Who is sponsoring these events? To try to increase awareness about
abuse which occurs in relationships and its consequences, the Women’s
Resources Center and Center for Women in Transition/A Woman’s Place,
along with other units of the Office of Inclusion and Intercultural
Relations, the Counseling Center, the Office for Student Conflict
Resolution, Office of the Dean of Students, Campus Recreation,
University Housing, Family & Graduate Housing, the YWCA, and the
University of Illinois Police Department will be sponsoring activities
and events throughout October on campus and in the community.

What is domestic violence? Domestic violence can include any form of
psychological, emotional, verbal, physical, and sexual abuse. It
occurs in both heterosexual and same sex relationships. It is
estimated that over 1/4 of students at the University of Illinois have
been abused by someone they were involved in a relationship with while
a student.

Warning signs of abuse:
* I am afraid to break up with my partner because he/she threatens to
hurt me, my children, my family, my pet, or himself/herself.
* My partner fosters the belief that I am bad or incompetent.
* My partner pressures me into having sex or performing unwanted sexual acts.
* My partner prevents me from seeing my family and friends, or from
going back to school or work.
* My partner tells me that if I changed he/she wouldn't abuse me.