[Peace] Friday Forum Schedule for Fall 2011 / YMCA / noon / Improving Equity in School Funding / How Local Schools are Advancing Social Justice / Verticalization and Unionization: What's Better for Education? / The Gridlock of Public Policy Resulting from Po

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 19:14:09 CDT 2011

The Friday Forum (at the YMCA on the U of I campus) are free lectures
on Fridays at noon.
Fall 2011 theme is: "The Future of Learning: Is Public Education Under Siege?"

The lectures that I think are the most interesting to AWARE people are:

* Friday, September 30 – 'Improving Equity in School Funding' / Ralph
Martire, Executive Director, Center for Tax and Budget Accountability
* Friday, October 7 – 'How Local Schools are Advancing Social Justice'
/ Ellen Dahlke and Rachel Moyer, Urbana High School / Caleb Curtiss
and Charles Weinberg, Centennial High School
* Friday, October 14 - 'Verticalization and Unionization: What's
Better for Education?' / Harriet Murav, Professor of Comparative
Literature and Slavic Languages and Literatures, University of
Illinois
* November 11 - 'The gridlock of public policy resulting from
polarization' / Jim Edgar, 38th Governor of Illinois, 1990-1998

For the full schedule, see http://www.universityymca.org/friday_forum/current/
[The first lecture is September 16th. The last is November 11, 2011.]