[Peace] upcoming events: Rally for Palestinian freedom; Peace Day; Speak Out for Troy Davis; Unity March

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.illinois.edu
Mon Sep 19 23:42:23 CDT 2011

Happening this week -

  Tue 9/20  5pm-7pm   "Don't Veto Palestinian Freedom!" rally, Main & Broadway, U.

    What: Rally against US threat to veto Palestinian UN bid and threats to
	punish Palestinians for taking their case to the UN

    Where: Champaign County Veterans Memorial, Broadway and Main, Urbana

    When:  Tuesday, September 20, 5-7 pm

    Who: Champaign-Urbana residents, Just Foreign Policy and Students for
    Justice in Palestine

    Robert Naiman  naiman {at} justforeignpolicy.org
    http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=249984081691511

and on Wednesday, 9/21, both starting at 5:30pm:

  Wed 9/21  5:30-6:00pm  Peace Day - First Mennonite Church peace garden

    September 21st is the UN-designated International Day of Peace:

	http://www.internationaldayofpeace.org/

    The Mennonite Church in Urbana will be hosting an observance of Peace Day
    from 5:30 to 6:00 p.m. on the open lawn just west of the church building --
    the Peace Garden.

    All are welcome to come, participate, share a comment or a poem in
    support of world peace, and to greet others who share a concern for
    peace throughout the world.

    The church is at 902 W. Springfield (Lincoln & Springfield)
    in Urbana.  In case of inclement weather, we'll be in the
    church sanctuary instead of the garden.

    Conrad Wetzel - mc-wetzel {at} hotmail.com

  Wed 9/21 5:30pm   Speak Out for Troy Davis - Alma Mater (Green & Wright)

                 We Are Troy Davis!

    Troy Davis, an innocent man on Georgia's Death Row, faces death
    for the fourth time September 21.  His case has been the focus
    of an international campaign for justice.

    Troy Davis is clearly innocent of the murder of a Savannah
    police officer. There is no physical evidence against him. And
    seven of the nine witnesses have recanted their testimony,
    saying Troy is not guilty.  Many report police pressure to
    testify against Troy.

    Troy's execution is set for 6:00 pm CDT, Sept. 21.

    Gather with us as we either celebrate the announcement of Troy’s
    clemency and our victory over injustice, or as we speak out
    against another in a long line of shameful legal lynchings that
    are all too common in the U.S. Injustice System.

    For more information:         http://www.nodeathpenalty.org/
    In Urbana-Champaign e-mail:   end.death.penalty.uc at gmail.com

  (and, you can still join the New Jim Crow reading group,
   meeting alternate Wednesdays including this one: normally at 7pm
   but at a special time this week)

  Wed 9/21  New Jim Crow reading group
       special time: 6:30pm pot luck, 7:30pm discussion,
       in IMC basement (follow the signs)

    This is the second meeting of a reading group for Michelle Alexander's
    excellent book, "The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness."
    James Kilgore <jjuncu at gmail.com> is organizing the group; he writes:

       This is the most widely read book in recent times on issues related
       to prison, race and incarceration.  Alexander tracks the history of
       the rise in incarceration in the U.S. and in particular highlights the
       horrendous impact of this policy on African-Americans.

    Please write to Kilgore if you'd like more information.
    Meetings are normally 7-9 pm on alternate Wednesdays.
    Reading for this week is the introduction and chapter 1.

  Sat 9/24  7:45am-noon

    AWARE at the Farmer's Market.  Come by and talk with the public!
    If you have time to work a shift, we can use the help, too...

Coming later...

  Sat 10/1  2-4pm  monthly anti-war demonstration   Main & Neil, Champaign

    AWARE's monthly demonstration against the wars.

    This week marks the eve of the tenth anniversary of our
    invasion of Afghanistan.   Many events are planned around the country,
    including a demonstration in Washington, DC on Oct. 6th and days following

      http://october2011.org/

    and teach-ins and a demonstration in Chicago:

      http://icjpe.org/actions/Call-to-Endorse-MARCH-to-Protest-10th-Anniversary-of-US-War-on-Afghanistan

  Sat 10/8  noon   Unity March!   from various places in downtown Champaign

    Still being planned, but save the date for this march on a convergence of
    interlinked issues - for jobs, for economic justice, for healthcare,
    for education, and for an end to the wars!