[Peace] Workshop with Peter Taylor

Elizabeth Simpson elizacorps at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 20 15:49:07 CDT 2011

School for Designing a Society welcomes Peter Taylor, a brilliant transdisciplinary thinker, teacher, and writer who is visiting Urbana this weekend from the Critical and Creative Thinking program at UMASS Boston. Please join us for this participatory workshop, which is an inquiry into how we ask questions about social problems:

How do we know we have
population-environment problems? A journey from simple models to
multiple points of engagement to contribute to change.

Monday Sept. 26
3:00-5:30pm
SDAS room at the IMC 202 S. Broadway

People consume resources and pollute the environment, so the more
people, the more environmental problems we have--right?  Not so fast!
In this interactive workshop you will disturb that simple model.  By
the end you will be mapping multiple points of engagement through
which you contribute to change in your particular circumstances.
Along the way, you will consider how people marshal scientific
knowledge to persuade others of the seriousness of the population
problem, how inequalities among people qualitatively alter how "we"
respond to the title question, how you can bring in social
considerations to explain or interpret the directions that are taken
in science, and how you can work with a perspective of being partly
and jointly responsible for what is happening in society and the
environment.

Info on Peter Taylor
http://www.faculty.umb.edu/pjt/

Info on the School for Designing a Society
www.designingasociety.org

Download a reading packet of Peter's work here:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12897763/PTaylorReadingList.zip

learn about my latest initiative:
Celebrate U-C People's History Poster Project
www.ucpeopleshistory.org

Please make a donation to support future posters:
www.tinyurl.com/ucphdonation