[Peace] AWARE table at the Market at the Square for 2012 / we need feedback before April 13

Brussel Morton K. mkbrussel at comcast.net
Sun Apr 1 22:23:50 UTC 2012

Is it a question of money or management?  If money only (i.e., "manpower" is available), then I for one would favor weekly appearances, and help  to fund it.

Of course, a shortened "season", or fewer appearances, makes both issues easier to deal with.

--mkb

On Apr 1, 2012, at 4:14 PM, Karen Medina wrote:

> Hi Peace,
>
> Normally this sort of thing should go to the other listserv,
> peace-discuss, instead of peace. But I decided that this affects the
> larger community of Urbana Champaign that is interested in peace and
> justice issues and this is an event.
>
> This year's Urbana Illinois' Market at the Square (aka the Farmer's
> Market at Lincoln Square) has raised their prices for non-profit
> organizations by about 40% to bring the price closer to what the
> for-profit tables cost. (see note * below for more details, if you are
> interested).
>
> For years, AWARE has had a table at the Market at the Square. Weekly.
>
> Several suggestions and options face us.
>
> Suggestion 1) Rent two spaces instead of just one. The local Occupy
> group has already shown excitement over the idea of being invited to
> share a double-space with us. One member in particular is talking
> about adding live folk music as a feature (she and friends have a
> great folk band).

Sounds good!

> The cost for a weekly DOUBLE space would be (according to the AWARE
> treasurer, Stuart Levy): $486 for the summer (May 5 through November
> 3, 2012); 7am to 12noon. // 24 weeks in all.
> The cost for a weekly SINGLE space would be half that.
>
> Question: weekly or something less than weekly?

> It clearly depends—on the adequacy of personpower and the money.

> Weekly rental // OR instead of weekly, every other week. Or monthly.
> Or something less than weekly.
> We could rent the space weekly, but offer to share the space with
> other groups (i.e. CUCPJ) so that AWARE would only have to find
> volunteers every other week instead of weekly.
>
> Question: Is the additional cost an issue? Is it too much? Is it worth
> it? Is it more important now more than ever? Or is it not worth it?

I don't know about importance, I think it's useful to remind the populace…
The Palestinian question, the imperial program continues. Iran, Syria, …
Sustainability/climate change are issues that bear venting.

> Question: How can you personally help take some of the burden so that
> volunteers don't get burned out?

When in town, I'd be willing to volunteer, but I'll be out of town for long periods (in June and July).