[Peace] National Call-In Day to State Governors to say "No! to Prison Privatization" Wednesday, April 18 Pat Quinn, Illinois, (217) 782-0244

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 04:45:00 UTC 2012

National Call-In Day to State Governors to say "No! to Prison Privatization"
Wednesday, April 18
Pat Quinn, Illinois, (217) 782-0244
* The private-prison industry is fast growing with the two largest
companies, Corrections Corp. of America and GEO Group, posting profits
of $2.9 billion by the end of 2010.
* Private prison corporations actively lobby for laws that incentivize
filling prisons to increase their own profits at the expense of our
communities.
* Correction Corp. of America recently sent a letter to 48 U.S.
governors announcing its “Investment Initiative” to spend up to $250
million to buy prisons from state, local and federal governments. The
"initiative" requires states to commit to a minimum of 20 years for
the facility, maintaining 90% capacity over the 20-year period.
What the United Methodist church will say: "Governor, as a United
Methodist, I am calling to ask you for a public commitment by June 1
to decline CCA’s recent offer to privatize prisons in our state.
Profiting from the incarceration of others directly contradicts United
Methodist stances on restorative justice and biblical teaching. As a
person of faith, I believe no one should profit from the incarceration
of human beings."