[Peace] Opportunity to help prevent local jail expansion!

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 04:10:59 UTC 2012

[I am forwarding a message. This is an important local issue that
involves the prison industrial complex, racism, and the philosophy
that building cages is more palatable than providing community
services such as mental health, substance abuse counseling,
employment, education, health care, and better justice systems. -karen
medina]

Hello Everybody,
This is your chance to help get the C-U community involved in the jail
expansion issue and contribute to the exciting national decarceration
movement. CUCPJ and friends are doing door-to-door surveys asking
community members about their thoughts on the proposed jail expansion.
We will meet 10 am Saturday April 28 at the IMC and have a brief
workshop and then conduct surveys until around 2:30.

If you have never done door-to-door surveys before, know little about
the issue, or only have a hour and a half to spare, your work is still
welcome and needed. We are trying to both get the word out about the
issue and to gather ideas of what community members would like to have
tax money spent on. So far, very few people surveyed have been
supportive of the proposed expansion. We want input from as many
community members as possible. This Saturday will be our big push to
get as much community input as we can.

Please spread the word to your friends and colleagues. I found that
doing the surveys was interesting - less intimidating and more fun
than I expected. Come join us in our efforts to improve our community!

Thank you!
Brook

If you have any questions please feel free to email or call
emailbrook at gmail.com
845-594-9056

-- karen medina
"The really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." - Mark Twain