[Peace] Wuqu' Kawoq' (rural Guatemalan health services), presentation at Channing-Murray / Wednesday, Feb 22; 7pm

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 16:01:38 CST 2012

>From Charlotte Green via Barbara Kessel

Friends,
I am pleased to announce that U-C Friends Meeting is co-sponsoring a
presentation on Wuqu’ Kawoq, a nonprofit, nongovernment organization in
Guatemala founded by a member of our [Quaker] meeting, Dr. Peter Rohloff.

Channing-Murray Foundation, 1209 W. Oregon, Urbana, Illinois
Wednesday, February 22, 2012
7 PM

Claire Melvin will make the presentation, complete with slides, about
Wuqu’ Kawoq.  The organization is dedicated to providing healthcare and
human services to indigenous Maya populations in Guatemala in their first,
and for many, only language.

The program’s founder, Dr. Peter Rohloff, is a U of I graduate who was
convinced
that because of language and cultural barriers typical medical aid programs in
Guatemala often don’t work and thus focused on developing more holistic models
of intervention. Wuqu’Kawoq focuses on five major areas:  women’s health,
combating child malnutrition and providing primary pediatric care,
treating chronic
diseases in adults such as diabetes, health education, and clean water
initiatives.  Claire Melvin is a U of I graduate in sociocultural
anthropology who spent a year living in Guatemala and working as an intern
with Wuqu’Kawoq.  The major focus of her work was to create a women’s
sexual health program.  Her presentation will focus on women’s healthcare
and education in the Guatemalan highlands with Kaqchikel and K’ichee’
speaking women; she will also discuss the work that Wuqu’ Kawoq does as a
whole.

The public is invited, and light refreshments will be served.  The event
is free, but donations to Wuqu’Kawoq will be gladly accepted.