[Peace] Cities and Inequalities Conference this weekend at the U of I

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 13:56:30 CST 2012

[I am forwarding this event announcement from the Anti-Eviction
working group of OcCUpy. Ken Salo leads a panel on Saturday 8:30am
which sounds very interesting. -karen medina]

--- forwarded from Jesse Phillippe ------
Hey all,
There is also a conference going on this weekend at the U of I, that
has been partly organized (I think) by Ken Salo, a professor and local
social activist.

http://cgs.illinois.edu/content/cities-and-inequalities-a-transnational-world
[for more information and to register. There is a link from this
webpage to the Program]

Ken Salo s moderating a panel, on which there will be anti-eviction
activists from both Chicago and South Africa.  The panel is on
Saturday morning at 8:30 at Temple Buell Hall.  We should see who we
can get to go to this at the meeting tomorrow, and perhaps announce it
at the GA.

Below is the Sunday schedule for the conference:

Saturday, March 3, 2012
Temple Buell Hall, Plym Auditorium,  611 Loredo Taft Drive, Champaign, IL 61820
8:00        Coffee
8:20        Welcome remarks
8:30 – 10:30
Ken Salo, University of Illinois, Department of Urban and Regional Planning
Social Movement: Strategies and Tactics to Fight Urban Injustices
Video conference with social movement activists:
Anti Eviction Campaign, Chicago; Worker’s World Media Productions, and
International Labour Research Group, South Africa;US-Canada Alliance
of Inhabitants; Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center, Urbana
Break
10:45 – 11:45
Wrap-up discussion and closing comments by plenary speakers
1:00-3:00
Workshop on urban justice projects, Facilitators: The Center for Media
Justice, UC-Independent Media Center, and UIUC Planners Network.