[Peace] Peace and justice events / 30: Globalization and human rights; poverty; OccupyCU; / 31: survey about jail; restorative justice; OccupyCU a street corner

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 04:44:47 UTC 2012

Peace and justice events for Late March, 2012
March 30 - March 31, 2012

Can Globalization Promote Human Rights?
Friday, March 30
12 noon
YMCA Friday Forum / 1001 South Wright Street | Champaign, I
Rhoda Howard- Hassman, Canada Research Chair in International Human
Rights (2003); Professor, Department of Global Studies and Balsillie
School of International Affairs, Wilfrid Laurier University

Justice, Self-Respect and the Culture of Poverty
Friday, March 30, 2012
4pm
Knight Auditorium, Spurlock Museum
600 South Gregory Street, Urbana Illinois
Speaker: Tommie Shelby

OccupyCU General Assembly Meeting
Friday, March 30 at 6:00pm
Location: Champaign Public Library Room C

CUCPJ and allies are creating and conducting community surveys about
the Jail Construction and Quarter Cent Sales-Tax issue.
Saturday, March 31st, there will be small, targeted run of this survey
as a first phase.
Noon. 1-3pm
It will begin with an orientation at noon at the IMC.
We will go door-to-door in pairs, targeting a few different
neighborhoods in Districts 7 and 5.* Volunteers will disperse to
conduct the survey between 1-3pm, and some folks will return to the
IMC for the 4pm CUCPJ meeting. We decided to postpone the online
version of the survey until a later date after we have feedback from
what we do on the 31st.

What: Using Restorative Justice Practices in Your Life
When: Saturday, March 31,
1-5pm
Where: Urbana Free Library downstairs Auditorium (additional parking
across street)
Presenters: Mikhail Lyubansky and Elaine Shpungin
Cost: Free and Open to the Public through generous sponsorship by
Training and Education Committee
CEUs: For therapists and counselors, CEU credits will be available for $20.00
Registration: http://svy.mk/restorative-justice (to help with
resources such as seating and handouts we ask (but do not require)
that you register; those who register by March 20 will be entered in
drawing for fabulous prize)

Occupy a Street Corner
Saturday, March 31 at 2pm-4pm
Location: Illinois and Vine, Urbana