[Peace] upcoming events to come / from tonight's Immigrant Rights meeting

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Fri May 4 02:07:33 UTC 2012

Tonight was an Immigration Forum meeting. It was well attended.
Including several representatives of the sheriff's office and local
police. Also present were immigration activists, a local lawyer who
works with Spanish-speaking clients and immigration, and several other
groups working with immigration issues.

I will be posting at least 3 upcoming events related to the issues of
immigration and police. All the events occur between now and the
middle of June.

The Immigration Forum has had great success in dealing with the
Sheriff's office about Secure Communities. The Sheriff has said that
they won't detain people for ICE if the person is not a criminal.

The Forum's success started with a public meeting / panel about 6
months ago where they invited a representative from the Sheriff's
office to be on the panel.

Now the Immigration Forum is concentrating work on laws that would
allow a valid Illinois driver's license for immigrants, both
documented and undocumented. Currently there is a lot of confusion
about what documents are valid for driving (licenses from other
countries, an international driver's license and other documents are
sometimes permissible), but insurance requires specific documents, and
for the police here there is a concern that the driving certificates
in some states don't have a photo.

Also, there is a concentrated effort to reach out to other groups,
both religious groups and non-religious based activist groups.

A group from Chicago was also promoting an up-coming demonstration
about a recent incident with a person in North Carolina being labeled
as a criminal though he was never ticketed for any driving violation
each of the six times he was stopped.

I just wanted to give you a head's up on the upcoming events, the
issues, and this important movement right here in Champaign Urbana.

-karen medina

Below is a copy of the announcement about tonight's meeting.
Some media were present.