[Peace] The New Military Urbanism

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Sat May 19 03:12:14 UTC 2012

For what it's worth... claws were sheathed at the Nurses United Robin
Hood Tax demonstration at Daley Plaza today, which was well-attended
(packed!).  There were lots of police on foot & bicycle, wearing at
least two different kinds of uniforms.  None that I saw were in riot
gear nor horseback.  All stayed pretty calm.  One derisive snort from a
policeman looking at an anti-NATO sign, and one angry young man - I
wondered if he might be a provocateur, though he may have just been an
angry underpaid worker - was yelling at the police, creatively calling
them names, to no visible effect.

On the other hand, there's this (thanks to Susan S.):
http://dissenter.firedoglake.com/2012/05/17/police-preemptively-raid-apartment-arrest-activists-ahead-of-nato-summit/
right out of the same playbook as before the 2008 RNC.  A
break-down-the-door raid, no warrant, at least one cell phone seized
(*and* beer-making supplies), just Wednesday night.

We'll see what happens on Sunday.