[Peace] Oct. 20 Unity March, "Alternatives to Incarceration

Brian Dolinar briandolinar at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 18:48:14 UTC 2012

*Champaign-Urbana Citizens for Peace and Justice (CUCPJ)*  is organizing t*he
9th Annual Unity March on October 20*. People will assemble at the *County
Courthouse (101 E. Main St.)  in downtown Urbana at noon* for a program of
speakers from various sectors of the community. The march is co-sponsored
by the local *American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), the Graduate
Employees' Organization (GEO), and the Immigration Forum. *We urge you and
people from your organizations to attend.

After the program we will march to the satellite jail at Brookens (1776 E.
Washington) in East Urbana. The theme for this year's march is "*Alternatives
to Incarceration*."  This is in keeping with CUCPJ's campaign over the last
year in opposition to a proposal brought to the County Board to spend $20
million on expanding the satellite jail. We, along with the co-sponsors and
much of the community, believe that money would be better spent on
alternative and preventative programs which would keep people out of jail.
We especially believe that such programs should help to reduce the
disproportionate presence of African-Americans in the county jail who are
consistently more than half of those incarcerated while making up only 12%
of the population at large.

At the end of the march, we will move back to the IMC, 202 N. Broadway,
Urbana for food and refreshments. Bus transportation will be provided back
to the IMC. Please join us and let the County Board see your support for
alternatives.

For more information phone *Brian Dolinar on 217 621 5827 or James Kilgore 217
778 2354*

BD
--
Brian Dolinar, Ph.D.