[Peace] James Loewen wrote the best-selling Lies My Teacher Told Me / at Allen Hall this week (Sunday through Wednesday)

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 13:34:31 UTC 2012

James Loewen, best-selling author of Lies My Teacher Told Me:
Everything Your High School History Textbook Got Wrong, will be a Unit
One/Allen Hall Guest-in-Residence October 21 – October 24.
All events take place in the Main Lounge of Allen Hall, 1005 W.
Gregory Drive, Urbana unless noted otherwise.

Sunday, October 21
7pm - Lies My Teacher Told Me and How to Do Better
[Don McClure and I attended this one. It was pretty good. He ended the
talk with a quiz question that he will answer Monday evening.
Why did the South secede from the union?
a) Slavery
b) States' rights
c) Because Abraham Lincoln became president
d) Tariffs and taxes]

Monday, October 22
7pm - The Most Important Era That You’ve Never Heard Of

Tues day, October 23
7pm - Sundown Towns: Racial Cleansing in Illinois and Across America

9pm – meet up of people interested in doing research on Sundown Towns
(this will be held in the guest apartment)

Wednesday, October 24
7pm - How Standardized Tests Like the SAT, ACT, and GRE Lie About Your Abilities

James Loewen wrote the best-selling Lies My Teacher Told Me:
Everything Your High School History Textbook Got Wrong, in part as a
critique of existing textbooks, but also an account of American
history as it should be taught. His more recent books include Teaching
What Really Happened and Sundown Towns: A Hidden Dimension of American
Racism. He also wrote Lies Across America: What Our Historic Sites Get
Wrong; The Truth About Columbus; and Mississippi: Conflict and Change;
which won the Lillian Smith Award for Best Southern Nonfiction. This
book was rejected for public-school text use by the State of
Mississippi, leading to the path-breaking First Amendment lawsuit,
Loewen et al. v. Turnipseed, et al. He has been an expert witness in
more than 50 civil rights, voting rights, and employment cases.