[Peace] International Day of Peace 2012

Allison McGillivray akmcgilli at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 16:12:13 UTC 2012

An open invitation is extended to all peace-minded people:

Join an interfaith community to recognize the International Day of
Peace/International Prayer of Peace on *Friday, September 21st* at *5:30pm*.

The brief, 30 minute vigil will focus on the year's theme of ceasefire. The
vigil, hosted by the Peace and Justice Initiative of First Mennonite
Church, will be full of song, prayer and reflection.

Invite your friends, family, coworkers and neighbors to join together in
solidarity around the hope for a better world.

Any questions or concerns you may have can be directed to Allison
McGillivray (akmcgilli at gmail.com).

Peace!

*What is International Day of Peace?*
Created by the United Nations in 1981, the International Day of Peace was
created to encourage persons to think globally, scrutinize the violence
that occurs anywhere from our homes to foreign countries, and to seek a
common ground with others. With the additional emphasis from the World
Council of Churches, having created the International Day of Prayer for
Peace in 2004, this day's focus grows to include the creation of lasting
peace in ourselves, families and communities.

This year's International Day of Peace will focus on ceasefire, which is
appropriate as September 21st is also a day of Global Ceasefire. A
ceasefire can take many forms - laying down arms, reconciliation between
enemies, or even boycotting certain products and brands – and the brief
program on the 21st will allow time for reflection, sharing and singing to
celebrate the hope for ceasefire as we recognize it in our world.

 Help PJI spread the word about this event, and join us in a simple act of
peacemaking with persons of diverse faiths on Friday, September 21st at
5:30pm in the Peace Garden.