[Peace] Job opening at IMC

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 13 13:21:10 UTC 2013

The Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center is hiring a Venue & Media Training Coordinator to join our staff collective, which supports and empowers our volunteers and ensures the sustainability of our programs.

The Venue & Media Training Coordinator actively books and promotes events, maintains communications infrastructure, and provides media training and volunteer coordination. He or she reports directly to the board.

We are seeking someone with a commitment to social justice, demonstrated experience in promotions and event coordination, and the ability to teach and demystify technology. See full job description below.

The UC-IMC is a grassroots organization committed to using media, arts, and technology to promote social and economic justice. We own the downtown Urbana post office building where we operate a performance venue, art gallery and studios, community radio station, media training facility, public access computer center, and book/zine/costume library.

Our projects include the Makerspace, Books to Prisoners, public i newspaper, ucimc.org, and a Computer Help Desk. The center is powered by hundreds of volunteers who come together in a do-it-yourself spirit to create media and art and transform our community.

Please send a cover letter and resume to imc.personnel at gmail.com. Questions may also be directed to this address.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION:
The UC-IMC Venue and Media Training Coordinator is granted the authority to act upon behalf of the Board of Directors to fulfill the UC-IMC’s mission and goals by overseeing and facilitating the venue, media training, and technology needs of the IMC consistent with policies and directives given by the Board of Directors. As part of a staff collective along with the Finance & Building Coordinator and the Venue and Media Training Coordinator, the Development & Outreach Coordinator will prioritize job responsibilities that generate income for the UC-IMC and ensure its financial viability.

QUALIFICATIONS:
	* Understanding of and commitment to the IMC and social justice work
	* Experience and skills working with broad array of technology tools, systems, and media
	* Proficiency in office software, social media, databases, and websites a must
	* Experience teaching and demystifying technology preferred
	* Mature judgment, strong organization and communication skills
	* Ability to multi-task and work with a variety of people in a diverse environment
	* Willingness to work flexible hours
	* Ability to exude positive energy and team spirit
	* Ability to work without close supervision
	* Background and experience in organizing and promoting events

DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:

(*Indicates highest priority items)

	* Venue & Promotions
	* *Promote venue space, actively seeking out events, artists, and partners.
	* *Respond to all space inquiries and provide tours.
	* *Prepare venue contracts.
	* *Keep calendar and shows website up-to-date
	* *Ensure space is prepared for events
	* *Collect event monies and close out events
	* *Staff those events paying for additional tech support
	* Successfully promote events at the IMC
	* Coordinate volunteers and interns staffing shows

	* Technology Support
	* *Maintain and upgrade websites, calendar, and database
	* *Support UCIMC listservs - control permissions, keep of passwords, etc.
	* *Work with volunteers to ensure the function of radio automation & livestream
	* Attend facilities committee of the board

	* Training
	* *Train youth in media production for We Choose Health grant
	* Provide and promote regular media and radio training
	* Coordinate volunteers who wish to offer trainings
	* Maintain production studio and check out media equipment
	* Maintain media making documentation
	* Coordinate with MakerSpace and WRFU

	* Miscellaneous
	* *Produce and maintain an annual workplan with financial and organizational benchmarks and report progress on this to the staff and board.
	* Receive, record, and direct phone correspondence to appropriate persons during office hours.
	* Keep regular office hours and manage day-to-day issues as they arise.
	* Participate in weekly staff planning meetings.
Salary and Benefits:

$10-12 per hour based on experience. 20 hours a week minimum. Opportunity for growth  if financial benchmarks are met. Benefits: 10 paid national holidays if a holiday falls on a regularly scheduled workday.
Supervision and Evaluation:

The Venue and Media Training Coordinator will be evaluated at least annually by the Board of Directors.
Notice of Termination:

Notice of termination of employment by either party shall give a thirty-day notice.