[Peace] Letter in News-Gazette

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 29 15:25:12 UTC 2013

This letter was published in the 12/29/13 edition of the News-Gazette:

http://www.news-gazette.com/opinion/letters-editor/2013-12-29/dems-will-have-very-clear-choice.html

Dems will have very clear choice
Sun, 12/29/2013 - 7:00am | The News-Gazette

As one of three candidates in the March 18 Democratic primary for the 13th District U.S. House seat, I believe voters will have an authentic choice.

Democrat Ann Callis' website promotes a "tough, anti-crime judge, who for 18 years faced down murderers and drug dealers every day to protect our neighborhoods."

My website states: "The War on Drugs has for four decades been a means of disproportionately and arbitrarily incarcerating millions of African-American men, creating a 'New Jim Crow' in American society and destroying urban communities and families. I support movements toward decarceration and de-criminalization, especially in relation to nonviolent behaviors."

Democrat George Gollin's website states: "We must direct our economic policies toward investment in education and research, (and) innovation as a primary driver of job growth. ..."

I reject the notion that teachers and students are the source of our economic problems, and that research and innovation magically promote prosperity and fairness. For four decades, government policies have increased economic inequality and unemployment by undermining labor unions, putting American workers in competition with foreign workers, vilifying public employees and maintaining an overvalued dollar.

Research and innovation have primarily benefited the 1 percent and are implicated in the profit-driven corporatization of academic life.

My website states: "The educational system has not failed the job market — the job market has failed students and workers, due to self-aggrandizing decisions by bankers, corporate leaders, and politicians."

Again, voters will have a unique opportunity to make an informed choice.

DAVID GREEN
Champaign