[Peace] [Peace-discuss] report back from the AWARE demonstration yesterday afternoon

Rohn Koester rohnkoester at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 16:51:04 UTC 2013

I wasn't at the Saturday demo -- sorry I missed it -- but my general
impression is that many passersby who respond coldly to the peace message
are revealing the remarkable effects of the DoD propaganda apparatus. Is
there another federal department that gets to promote itself as
relentlessly as the DoD does? Of course, all this falls under the need for
"recruitment," but that just gives the propaganda a utilitarian spin -- the
DoD and its private contractors are obviously trying to promote the
ideology of empire to a general audience. // So when someone says, "My son
is in the Army, so I can't be anti-war," they aren't speaking as a parent
but as a victim of indoctrination. Army as job training program. Army as
team sport. Army as great defender/liberator. // Or perhaps the
indoctrination mediates with the neo-liberal business perspective -- that
warfare is what pays the bill. Like saying, "My son is a firefighter, so I
can't be anti-fire."

Thanks for sharing this.

rk